Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrap Deboss 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drhinehart

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2004
US
How do you wrap a sketch and have it cut through with out a tappered hole?

I have a pipe I need to place a cam-lock onto. The cut needs to be straight. I have done this before SW2006 but I am banging my head trying to figure out how to do it again.

The slot starts at 90 degree then goes vertical, then around the pipe about 30 degree and then vertical again out through the end of the pipe.

I have created sketchs on both the 90 plane and the 30 plane and tried to wrap them. But I can not get the cut to go straight through, it is always tappered.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have the Draft option set to an angle?

An alternative may be to use a sweep.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Hmmm ... good question. I thought I had used a draft with the wrap function in the past. The old brain cells are deteriorating fast these days. [sad] Sorry for the mis-info'.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Don't worry I am in the same boat... I have done this before just having a hard time remembering the process to get waht I need. I am working with the sweep option right now... Maybe it's just time to go home and start over in the morning.

Deboss always cuts perpendicular to face you are projecting on at every point, so in the case of a cylinder it would be radial--it has no way to know which lines you don't want to be cut radially. What you are asking is sort of out of the scope of the feature.

I did this back in January and it worked. Can't recall exactly what I did we were using 2005 and since we upgrade to 2006 it appeared to work differently. Can anyone verify that this works in 2005?

CBL, you're right, I omitted that--not useful in this case though.

I tried a few things too but so far none are easier than a sweep--defeats the purpose. I'm not sure there is an easy way to do this since you want the midline to cut radially but the lines on either side parallel to the midline direction--though it certainly isn't a difficult concept, solidworks would need more information like a guide curve to define the midline. I can't even think of a feature that asks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back