Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wrap Text in Excel2000 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielH

Computer
Aug 10, 2001
GB
I have a simple spreadsheet in Excel 2000.

The row descriptions are fairly long (50-150 characters), so i used the wrap text function.

It did move the text onto another line in the cell but the row height did not change. I have to manually resize the row height to be able to see the contents.

It may not seem like a big deal but it's a pain.

Can anybody help?!?!?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm sure there is an easier way to do this without having to force a line break, but here is my suggestion.

You can <ALT>+<ENTER> at the end of the desired line to force a carrage return within a cell, producing a multi-line cell. Every time I use this method, the row automatically adjusts in height. If the cell column is too narrow, I still get the automatic word wrap, so the column sizes still have to be adjusted manually.

If rowheight does not auto-adjust just select the entire column conatining the text (by clicking the column header) and do - Format>Row>Autofit

If you want to do it for the whole worksheet, select all cells (by clicking the small grey square located above the row header for Row 1 and to the left of the col. header for Col.A) and do - Format>Row>Autofit

You can also double click on the edge between two rows or columns, they will then autofit automatically!

Select the cell you'd like to wrap text. Right click, choose Format cells (or menu Format and then Cells) and select the sheet [n]Alignment[/b].
Check the check box Wrap text it should automatically adjust the row height if the text exceeds the columnwidth, regardless of the text being one word or more.

Jonathan

Thanks for your help guys - some good pointers there.

Cactus - I am using wrap text, it's just not resizing the row heights. Like Tigrek, I thought (and have seen) row heights automatically resize without having to use any tools or special formats.

Go on call me lazy...

I've just cracked it!

In the same screen where you choose wrap text, there is also vertical and horizontal alignment.

I had the cells set to vertically align at the top. If you change it to any other option (centered works best) the row height does automatically resize!

Thought I'd let you all know.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Good work, DanielH
I've been working with XL for some years now and encountered this problem but never really found out...
Thanks, once again

DanielH, Like Mala I wondered why it only worked sometimes...

Now add the the &quot;merged&quot; property to multiple cells on a single row. Autofit once again does not work, but I'd really like it to. (I use Excel 97 & 2000)

Has anyone found a way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back