Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrist Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoobystu

Bioengineer
Apr 2, 2002
GB
Having recently fractured my wrist (for the second time now) I was wondering if anyone knows if someone manf's wrist protectors.

If not, does anyone have any ideas that could be made to do the job?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you sustain this injury by putting your hand out after a "get-off"? If this is the case I thought the collar-bone was supposed to break in preference ;-)
I don't know of any device currently for sale, but on the face of it, padding at the base of the palm could work.

Alternatively, design a motorcycle you can't fall off!
This is not so silly as it sounds. Try a google search for "Feet First Motorcycle" or "Quasar FF".

I was wearing body armour at the time so maybe that helped the old collar bone. Maybe a 4 wheeled motorbike would be better!!

Never tried a feet first bike off-road, but there is always a first time.

maybe the wirst braces for roller blading or skateboarding? or the brace I use for carpal tunnel support when using computer mouse.

I ride observed trials and crash all the time. I use kneepads always. Elbow pads when I am really trying new stuff, but have never used writst bracing. would interfere too much with motion, but our situations are different.

I think the gloves with metal dots on the palms are supposed to slide when I hit the ground, reducing the amount of that force being transmitted to the wrist.
The force of me catching my weight falling/being hflung lik a pitchfork would probably remain.

I will try to remember to search for sports medicine hand/wrist taping as used by boxers and American foot ball players.

Well, I'll be the 'wet blanket' today. Having been on bikes since 1949 or so and, having broken left wrist, left ankle (twice) right ankle, collar bone and three ribs---the only sure cure is to stop racing dirt bikes. I still ride my old 1948 Norton on the street and I still race vintage cars but, no dirt bikes for me anymore. Another point, IMO, stay away from the 3 and 4 wheel dirt things. When you get off of one of those it tends to follow you!!!

At least it seems that the more experienced you become the less you 'get off' but, the more it hurts when you do!

Rod

I'd tend to agree that avoidance is the best policy. Here in the UK we have a group of safety nazis called TRRL. A few years ago, they were trying to tell us we all needed 'leg protectors' on our bikes. These were large devices attached to the sides of the bike, ahead of the riders shins. They were claimed to significantly reduce lower leg injuries. They also increased upper leg, pelvis and spinal injuries.
My own preference is that if anything is going to break, it should be the bits furthest from my head and spine.
(It is for the same reason that I choose to wear the lightest available, open face helmet.)

Pete.

I stopped riding on the roads as it seems more dangerous than riding off-road. Having made the move to wearing body armour over the last year or so it has definately made me think why I never used to wear it before. Now I would never ride without it. Unfortunately you can't get body armour that protects your wrists, understandable really as it would affect the way you hold the bars.

Although I ride in Scotland and generally the ground is very soft due to the amount of rain we get!!

I agree with your 3 and 4 wheel statement evelrod. Don't particularly like them myself.

Scoobystu,

I agree with kcj and Imoose on this one. Skateboarding wrist gaurds or a good set of low friction motorcycle gloves.

Good Luck, dmech

4 wheels won't help you either, I have broken wrists and dislocated both of my shoulders coming up short on jumps, and bashing into things. Yes Pat is correct, my 4 wheelers tend to hunt me down and pounce on me when I have a get off. :)
Other than wearing some sort of "stretchy" compressive type brace to assist your wrists, I don't know of any type of bracing that could be used and still give you the flexibilty that you need to steer. If you are having problems with hitting things like ruts, roots, & rocks, a steering stabilizer performs miracles. It actually feels like the difference between power & manual steering. If you are landing off of jumps and hurting your wrists you may want to change to a taper bar with the mounts in rubber or urethane, or maybe take a look at these They work good, but are expensive.

I haven't made the switch to the road yet, cause you can just do more fun things in the dirt...and not get a ticket for them.

Hope this helps,
Ed
P.S. Take it easy on us 4 wheel guys, we all need to stick together.

:)
Yea I watched the video that you had posted before. Didn't look like it was much fun, or inexpensive. Oh well that's part of racing. I do the 4 wheeler thing cause I can get the same kind of thrill and competition, while spending much less than I would on a sprint car.

Scoobystu,
I just noticed the other day that Pro-Circuit now has a handlebar system where the bar and mounts bolt down on top of a rubber pad that can be 1 of 3 different durometers.

etatv

Is the Pro Circuit thing to stop vibration? I agree that the only way to stop injuring yourself is not to ride motorcycles, but I have spent the last month without being able to ride and it has given me a taste of what it would be like not to ride at all - and it's not good. Also, as you say, you can do a lot more off road. I think jumps wheelies and rear wheel steering are generally frowned upon on public roads.

If you like the challenge of wheelies and balance,check into Observed trials. Not at all what you might think you remember from the 60's.
Injuries are common but minor due to speed.
I have been riding several years, am and engineer, yet still to me the upper level stuff is totally incredible and apparently in violation of most laws of physics.

k

From the look of it the Pro-Circuit bar system is just intended to reduce vibration and fatigue. The Flex-x system is probably going to be the best option to help reduce injuries on motorcycles. If you had a 4wheeler I would suggest a product called the wrist wrester that is a sliding block and gas spring that replaces the upper steering stem mount.
If you get a look at the Flex-x system, you might just be able to make something similar yourself if you have access to machining equipment.

Thans,
Ed

'lo Scoobystu
Instead of protecting your wrist try to avoid to hurt them, go to a judo dojo and learn how to fall without (too much!) damage...
If it's not useful for the off road it could be useful in other "falling" situation !!
Hope could help you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back