Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Write protected drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viktor

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2001
US
I want to make a write protected AutoCAD drawing. Moreover, I would like to make sure that nobody can remove write protection so the standard Windows write only option is not suitable here. Please advise. Viktor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was just wondering if the resultant file HAD to be a .dwg or not? What situation are you going to be using this file in? ...are you sending it to people? ...do they need to work on it at all or is it just a 'read only' thing you want to give them? The reason why I ask is that sending a different file format maybe a better option.

In AutoCAD 2000+ you should get the option to print to DWF file. This type of file is essentially like an image file, except it keeps it's lines etc as vectors (so it's not broken down to pixels) You can then send this file onto other people where they can print them off.

In order to print them off they will need a extra piece of software called Volo View Express - Version 2 (25Mb FREE download from AutoDesk) as AutoCAD will NOT read DWF files.

Doing it this way means that the people at the other end can only view or print the drawings you send them, they can't edit them in any way (unless they buy additional software to convert it back to a DWG).

I'm not sure if this is a solution you wanted but you have my thoughts on it now, feel free to ask for more help.

Regards

Marc

Dear Hindo

Thank you very much for your valuable advice. It could be an option although it is limited by the presence of VOLO VIEW Express on the other people computers.

What I want is to send a file, other can look, but cannot edit, add, etc. Today I use to copy an AutoCAD drawing into MSWord, the convert it into a pdf file loosing quality. Ideally, I would like to have an AutoCAD drawing that everybody can change but cannot print, save, etc. The reason I need it is because I send drawings to my customers and they often try “to adopt” my drawings to their “particular conditions.” Unfortunately, they do not understand what has to be changed so they change a few components leaving other essential as they are. It makes the drawings incorrect and after a short while you do not know which drawing is correct. It becomes a kind of mess.
Viktor

Vik,
If you have access to a PDF writer, then why don't you plot directly to the PDF writer from AutoCAD. The PDF writer must be an available printer on the computer for Word to convert documents to PDFs. If you have AutoCAD 2000i or better loaded and the PDF writer loaded on the same machine, you can pick the PDF as a printer and not lose any resolution, from inside AutoCAD. You can bump up the resolution to 150 or 300 dpi from the PDF printer properties.

We do it here all the time.
And we do it for MicroStation, as well.

Later.
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back