Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong import scales from FactoryCAD addon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travh2008

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2012
US
Hey everyone,

This problem is a little confusing, but if you know anything about scales and FactoryCAD, please bear with me.

This question deals with importing .dwg files that end up being HUGE on my screen. I think that this is a scale problem, and to fix it I should have the units equal on both drawings (mm on the source, mm on the target), but I can't seem to solve the problem because these aren't regular .dwg files that I can edit. Instead, I'm using the Siemens FactoryCAD addon, which lets me insert 3D parts onto a factory floor layout (Similar to Autodesk's Factory Design Suite, but not quite so robust and user friendly).

I've used the "Units" command while having my entire drawing selected, and tried enabling every type of unit before importing. No matter what unit I change to, the file still comes in too big.

Instead of trying to explain everything that's going on with this issue, I will instead ask if anyone has FactoryCAD experience and would help me. If so, can you please contact me through this post or a PM? We could even have a phone call, because this is a very important project of mine that is at a standstill because of this software.

Thank you,
Travis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you have to tell us are the dimension units of both drawings before suggesting a scaling method, otherwise, several paragraghs may be required to solve you problem since there could be several reasons for one drawing to be larger than the other one.

My drawing is currently "Unitless." When trying to insert an object from FactoryCAD , it gives me more scaling options that I have shown in my attached image. I'm working with AutoCAD 2010. I tried changing the unit of my drawing to Meters, then I click the second two "millimeter" buttons on my seond attachment, but the imported stuff comes out too big.

I'll continue to play around with the units till I get something usable, but if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to throw them my way.

Attachment:

The drawings are not unitless. Autodesk ACAD will have for default units "inches"in decimal form. FactoryCAD, which I never used, has a good chance to have duplicated Autodesk default settings. You need to check your dimension settings either under setup dialog box when starting a new drawing or in the dimension dialog box for existing drawings.

I have a new plan that may work.

I'm going to scale my existing drawing up, perhaps 12 or so. Then I'll import the factorycad objects and see if they come out at a decent size. This seems like the only approach to me.

I realize this is a late post, but I would:
set my drawing units to one of the options listed in the dialog for current units (inches or mm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back