Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRONG PWHT APPLIED TO VALVE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason123456789

Mechanical
Aug 17, 2015
US
I have a carbon steel valve with flanges welded one and the wrong heat treat procedure applied to it. The heat treat procedure used holds the temperature at 1550-1650 F for 45 minutes then removed and quenched in oil, until cool. The parts are then tempered in 1000 - 1200 f range for 2 hours to obtain hardness of Rc 28-36.

The correct procedure places the components in a furnace at 800 F, and increased to 1100-1200 f for 15 minutes per inch of weld thickness. After reaching 800, it is cooled in still air.

Is there something I can do, or should the part be scrapped.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Jason,

That sounds like a really tricky problem you have there. I would think you might be better heading over to the Materials Engineering forum with this question (Metal and Metallurgy section. As well as talking to a local Materials Engineer. They might be able to advise if the material is going to still comply with what is required.

I will add though that if there is any doubt that the material does not meet your requirements then I would scrap it without a second thought.

Duane
Piping and Valve Engineer - Oil & Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back