Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wwtp head loss calculations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dripper

Civil/Environmental
Aug 18, 2006
US
I am looking for a good reference on performing headloss calculations across the various unit of a wwtp. any spreadhseets out there to assist?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The major losses will be across the racks/screens and any sudden changes of flow area. Metcalf & Eddy WW Engineering have the equations. That book is extremely useful for resolving other issues as well.

Engineering is the practice of the art of science - Steve

My company also finds Flowserve's Cameron Hydraulic Data book to be a great reference for resistance coefficient (K) values

The trickiest bit of the works is usually the interinked weirs, flumes and channels associated with the inlet and the sidestream to storm tanks. Metcalf and Eddy doesn't cover how to do that bit AFAIK.

I'm sure there are plenty of others like myself with spreadsheets for this. Personally I'd want to write my own spreadsheet, I wouldn't trust soemone else's.

Seán

So many errors occur in spreadsheets. You would be better off using Mathcad or TK Solver. At least then youcan see your equations when it comes to error checking.

Flowpro 2 is a good freeware software program for losses in channels, weirs etc. You could use this to solve for nodes in your process.

There was a program called Arc that was designed to WWTPs but I havent used it.

Geoffrey D Stone FIMechE C.Eng;FIEAust CP Eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back