Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X220CrVMo 13-4 weldability 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager687

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2003
US
I've been told that the tool steel (DIN)designated X220CrVMo 13-4 is the same as AISI D-7 and that welding in the hardened state(57 Rc) is extremely difficult. Can anyone tell me if the mat'l. cross reference is correct and is the material weldable.

Alan L. Bass, toolmaker

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alan,

X220CrVMo 13-4 (1.2380) is essentially the same as D7. I would consider them to be equivalent since the nominal compositions are very close, with only minor variances for minimum or maximum values. With regards to weldability, I would say any steel that has been hardened to 57 HRC has poor weldability, but you should definitely contact the sources that unclesyd provided for expert advice on your situation.

I have welded this steel in the past with good success. It required a pre-heat to help prevent cracking. Welding was performed using GTAW but I don't remember the filler metal type. I will check to see what it was and get back to you. I have a WPS for this somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back