Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xerox 8830 plot margin problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbelectrical

Industrial
Dec 31, 2002
US
Hello,

We just received a Xerox 8830 and are experiecning difficulty with its plot margins. Most of the time we plot Arch D 36x24s in Landscape format. Our titleblock is on the right-hand side of the drawing. From the right side of the titleblock to the edge of the paper, it *should* be .25".

Our margins typically are:
Top: .65"
Bottom: .65"
Left: .75"
Right: .25"

In Plot Preview, everything looks fine. When the plot comes out, there is about 1" from the right side of the titleblock to the edge of the paper. I've tried changing the Justification setting on the Xerox 8830 to "Right", as well as changing the "Over Margin" and "Under Margin" settings. Increasing "Under Margin" shifts everything to the right, which is what I want, but cuts a few things on the left and the bottom - no matter what the margins are changed to.

The *only* way for it to plot as close to the edge of the paper as we want it to is by changing the left and right margins to 0" and setting X-axis plot offset to 1". Why is this? We never had to do this on our HP DesignJet 600s.

Increasing the left margin to say, 1", pushes everything to the right (as it should), and everything looks good in Plot Preview, but when it's actually plotted, there still exists a 1" gap between the right side of the titleblock and the edge of the paper.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you tried plotter calibration: File -> Page Setup -> Plot Device -> Device and Document Settings?
Also: File -> Page Setup -> Layout Settings -> Plot Ofset by X and Y should help to you.

If you haven't solved your problem yet. We have 2-8830's and print all kinds of file formats. I run into similar issues with Autocad, PDF, Cals, etc. I wouldn't agonize over how you got the desired result. The HP plotter is a completely different machine and printing anything on the HP is going to be different than plotting on the 8830. With this kind of issue, I find that once you get it resolved, remember how you got the desired result and set it up the same way the next time. We are a small print shop and when we get Autocad files we create a set plot files and print it via client tools. The drawings usually print faster.

I usually set my margins to zero.

Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back