Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XFMR OIL CONTAINMENT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecajun

Electrical
May 19, 2002
US
Hi,
I am looking for some opinions on different types of oil containment systems. I have seen open pits with sump pumps along with pits containing rock along with sump pumps to pump out water..
I am wondering what is better, open pits or pits with rock.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where is your site? Soil conditions? What kind of oil? Risk of environmental damage? Is it waste oil, or will it be reused?

Give us some more details - we'll try to help.

[pacman]

The type of oil containment that I am referencing is power transformer oil containment. Some areas that have transformers installed are at high risk of environmental damage where others are not as high. Some installations are in rural areas where others are in metro areas. Soil conditions vary from very rocky to swamp land (both extremes). Once a transformer would fail and oil is dispersed, I would assume the oil would be disposed of by some means or filtered and cleaned for a very long period..(just guessing).

Thanks for your response.

You need to line the pond to prevent leakage into the groundwater. You can put rocks on top to hold the liner down and improve the appearance.

You need to hire a geotechnical consultant with environmental experience.

[pacman]

Have you tried searching the site for this topic? I thought that there were several other posts on this topic in the last year. I think IEEE and RUS have publications on the subject. There are several different methods for containment, each with its advantages and disadvantages. Our company specifies a lot of containment tanks as they are relatively maintenance free, reliable and don't get in the way of normal operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back