XP 32 bit on AMD Turion 64x2 - Mouse coursor freezes intermittently 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnis

Automotive
May 15, 2003
DE
Hello,

I have a parallel installation of WIndows XP Pro 32bit on my Toshiba Satellite A215 with AMD Turion 64x2 processor. The first operating system is Windows XP Pro 64bit... and with it everything works perfect, but under XP 32bit the mouse coursor freezes each 4 seconds for about 0,5 seconds and it's pretty disturbing, because this interruption is of course happening also when a program runs... I have to mention that I have an integrated ATI Radeon X1200 graphic card. The graph of system load (which can be seen in task manager) indicates indeed a very high processor load when the mouse freezes...
Can anybody give me an advice on how to solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

Donnis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try re-installing drivers for mouse? Possibly re-installation of windows in the extreme.

@IRStuff, I don't get why you reply to every post in the general computing forums with "post at tek-tips" a) why not give folk here the chance to reply first b) if this forum is not meant for such questions why do these boards exist c) Tek-tips states it is for IT professionals - i.e. not general / simple questions.

Since you ask, the title of this forum is "Computer Engineering other topics," i.e., the engineering and design of computers. The expectation was to get postings on the design and architecture of computers, not to solve mouse problems.

Tek-Tips, despite its ostensible raison d'etre is chock full of computer and software expert users, hence, is more likely to have the right answers to this type of question. If you read the postings on Tek-Tips, you'll see that about 99% of the questions deal with "problems" with hardware and software, exactly the subject of the OP. Particularly, read titled PC hardware - Peripheral issues.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Be aware that many of the Tek-Tips forums will guard their 'computer professionals only' stance almost as fiercely as the chartered engineers do here - you should be OK in the hardware forums, which are largely populated by non-pros in the same way that the automotive forums here are.

Good Luck
johnwm

Donnis,

I am an avid Linux user but I have had some similar problems with Linux OSs. The cause of your problem seems pretty simple and you may have just answered the question yourself albeit unknowingly to you. There are many differences is 64-bit and 32-bit OSs. The main difference being the kernel limitations which you are experiencing now.

64-bit kernels typically allow for more memory to be seen in a system. Thus, you are able to run more processes/programs without much of a strain to your memory which turn impacts your processing power. (Limiting your memory value hinders the validity of even the best processors)

Which leads to the 32-bit OS, running the same application you ran on the 64-bit now yields a lag because you don't have the memory capacity to handle the applications.

In short...
Memory you can do nothing about. The OS has limitations ramping up the processor can give you some return on loss. But is kind of an expensive fix when the easiest solution is to revert back to the 64-bit OS... if at all possible.

Hope this explains and helps
~O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back