XYZ coordinate points to Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng426

Mechanical
Jun 27, 2003
US
Hi

I am using NX 8. I often have situations where I have to get XYZ coordinate points for hundreds of point locations on a model and transfer those points to an excel spread sheet. up until now I have done it manually using "information, point" for each one and then I enter it manually into Excel. the points I am taking are actual UG points i have entered in on a special layer when i was creating features.... like it is the point on a curved surface where a hole originates. I know I can do all the points at once and get a large listing that I can sort in excel but that does not allow me to determine how to put the points in an order we desire as decided by the customer.

Ideally I would like to select the point in UG and see the XYZ points appear in my spreadsheet in 3 columns right at the time I selected it and maybe without extra commands like copy and past etc.

I appreciate your ideas.
thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This thread might provide you with some help:

If that doesn't help, it wouldn't take much to whip-up a cheap and dirty program which would at least take the 3D coordinates of selected point and write the data to formatted text file which could then be loaded into an Excel spreadsheet.

Do you have a GRIP execute license?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

It seems that I've already written a GRIP program to do just that (attacehd below, just edit the extension from .zipper to .zip before extracting the files), so if you've got a GRIP execute license, you're in business (read the description of the program in the .grs file for instructions on how to use it).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,

Thanks so much for your help and interest...!! so you know...I have never "programmed" macros in UG and unsure how to "load it in".... my last prgramming was fortran back in school......way long ago..... I will seek some help here at my office and look to see if you offer any more advice...... I noticed you work for siemens and want to mention that UG is the best program around and I have recommended it here where I work....which resulted in 2 new stations and also recommended it to another company who ended up getting 4 seats..... so I appreciate your getting back to me ....
thanks again..!!
Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back