Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

yachtbuilder needs HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartH

Marine/Ocean
May 23, 2003
AU
After 25 years building alloy yachts,I decided to try CAD

I,M STRUGGLING,
Will I eventually be able to use the thing or should I give up?
If anyone would like to help they could eamil myself at hearnyacht@iprimus.com.au, I would then give you a free copy of the book I,m writing on alloy yacht building, I,m up to chapter 1!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I too have just started with auto cad light and I can recommend the following, spend a couple of hours going throught the tutorial that came with the package it has a follow me type learning system. When you are bored with that then try and start your own drawing. The best tip I can give you is not to try and solve a problem on your own. I spent hours on one particular aspect yet when I asked a regular user it took 3 minutes.

Its a bit like golf....24 hours on the range accomplishes the same as ten minutes with the pro! sometimes!

Maybe you should look at I used it for a strip plank 14 m catamaran. You will need a 2D/3D CAD package also. I have use VectorWorks for over 10 years.

Also perhaps it is your computer system that is not so easy. Use a Macintosh ... if your software investment will allow this.

Computers are becoming less and less logical and more like people everyday. Use to be software was straight forward and demanded the user to be educated and disiplined. Now days it squeeks, flashes, and writes 20,000 languages which has nothing to do with an individual user and his needs.

Have fun and welcome to progress. smile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back