Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yaskawa Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

justint

Electrical
Aug 17, 2007
GB
Hi

I have come across Yaskawa J1000 family of inverters and am considering purchasing one to control a pump on a variable frequency.

I have read a few posts in this forum where the voltage used was slightly different to the rating of the inverted and this led to over excitation and tripping.

If the inverter is 3 phase 400 V and I plan to use 415 or 430 V (3kW 50 Hz)should this make a large difference to the operation of the pumps motor?

Justin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, no problems. There is always a parameter where you can set your voltage at rated frequency so that the U/f ratio is right.

Not quite sure what you mean with the 400 and 415/430 volts? Do you have a 415/430 V motor and a 400 V mains voltage? If that is so, you will not be able to feed the motor with the correct voltage. But certainly no risk for overexcitation. Rather the opposite.

If you have a 415/430 V grid and the VFD is made for 400 V, you may also be OK, most inverters can easily work with elevated voltage. Some have a rather broad input voltage range.

Also, most motors can tolerate up to a +/-10 percent deviation from nominal U/f ratio.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Thanks Skogsgurra

When I posted the above I only had the brochure for the drive which stated 400V. I was a little worried that if I was installing on a site that the voltage may be 415 or 420, would this affect the operation of the drive and subsequently the pump motor.

I have since found the data sheet on line and can see that the rated power supply voltage is from 380V to 480V.

Thanks again

Justin

You may have problem with inverter and not with motor. Carefully review Inverter Spec especially for Max voltage rating. 480V is 20% higher than 400V and maybe Out of Spec.

Usually the term "400v inverter" is used as a generic reference to a VFD that can operate over a voltage range of 380-480Vac. As opposed to a "200v inverter" that typically operates over a range 206-240Vac or thereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back