Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Year Built

Status
Not open for further replies.

heaterguy

Mechanical
Nov 15, 2004
US
When does year built apply? The year it was designed or the year it was hydrotested? Or are we allowed to decide?

TYIA,

heaterguy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Year Built", as shown on the data report corresponds to the year that the equipment is completed (hydrotested). For the purpose of selecting which edition/addenda of ASME code to design to, the purchase order date governs, regardless of when the design calculations are performed or when the equipment is hydrotested.

metengr has the best answer.

DG72:I agree this is most correct,however depending on the situation the year built could also be when the paperwork is accepted(traveler).

Lets say in larger volume production line at years end. This needs to be agreed upon by manufactuer and the AIA with a QC procedure. There may also need to be an agreement with the NB for registration.

The Code does not clearly define this and perhaps that is the reason.

I would suggest reaching an agreement with one's AIA and other parties concerned.

I worked in a vessel shop for a few years. The ASME Code (year and edition) date put on the data report were as Metengr noted, per the contract. The data report and nameplate used the year of vessel completeion as the "year built".

Joe Tank

I like JoeTank's answer.

In particular a vessel is not a Code Vessel until the Data Report is signed which is after hydrotest.

So, ASME Vessel manufactures are real particular around the end of December in order to keep there file logs and NB numbers in line.

Regards,

Allen
Sindel & Associates

Allen,
There's nothing really difficult about the "year built" process. The plant production folks have no problem knowing when a vessel is hydrotested and stamped. They just look at the calendar. The ASME Code year and edition is typically noted on the drawings and listed in the traveler. It's just a business as usual procedure.

Joe Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back