Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

You heard it here first ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
I think masks are going to be required in the future on intercontinental fights.

Just as 911 brought security issues to the forefront, I think COVID has brought public health issues to the same focus.

Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience for travelers (like airport security), particularly when compared to the major disruption that a pandemic causes.

Further, the general public is somewhat atuned (placated?) to wearing masks so the requirement won't seem So outlandish.

This may not apply to business jets (since does the 1% get the same treatment as the 99% ?). But the logic could be that the more limited number of passengers can be traced.

Thoughts ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the long run, a vaccination certificate and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Hmm possible case for high speed rail eurotunnel style, every one drives their car onboard and stays in it till the destination, want a toilet should have brought Winnebago.

No, I'm not talking about COVID but the next pandemic. Yes, in the near term to get flying again I expect vax cert will be required, and this will offer protection against known variants. We don't want to open up international travel only to spread a new variant.

I'm thinking ahead ... as 911 changed our business' approach to security, I think COVID, and the pandemic that resulted, should change our approach to the health questions of intercontinental travel. Another 1/2 measure (cause how do you provide effective counter-measures against a threat you can barely identify ?) would be to have better access/egress controls on potential hot spots (like deepest darkest Africa, and back of beyond Asia) ?

Rightly or wrongly, in the medium term, things will go back to more or less how they were pre-covid. Perhaps more people will generally wear masks, but it's an uphill battle. Long-term quarantining would be devastating - the airline industry, and travellers in general, will not want that to happen. Sooner or later, the money talks.

I hope that this has made people realise that they really don't need to travel halfway around the world to go to a meeting that could have been served by an email or an internet conference call. For that matter, I hope the push to more work-from-home stays in place. It's better for the environment, it's better for traffic. Perhaps some people will go part-time work-from-home, and that's fine.

It might mean that we don't need more international airports.
It might mean that we don't need many more long-haul aircraft.

Nothing really changed in the airline business as a result of 9/11. Aside from the minor change of better cockpit doors and policies about not opening them, the 9/11 changes were changes the FAA (for example) should have mandated in the decades before when drunk, belligerent passengers were known to barge in. There was a huge change in security theater that does little to nothing to enhance safety. I suspect the lack of attacks is more due to the ineffectiveness than to effectiveness of the screenings.

The real change was among passengers who now understood they needed to fight to save themselves and others, which is very much unlike the public's Covid response.

I can't imagine anyone on a plane now, upon seeing a guy grab a flight attendant, saying "That looks like a hoax to me." Yet that has been a common response to Covid.

Yes, in the near term to get flying again I expect vax cert will be required, and this will offer protection against known variants. We don't want to open up international travel only to spread a new variant.

There's nothing to "open up," international travel slowed for a few weeks last spring but has been normal for more than a year now. Its ok, its safe to come out of your basement and take a vacation like the rest of us. Unfortunately you missed last summer's cheap rates.

In the long run, a vaccination certificate and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee.

Gas is topping $3/gallon here, so we'd need a bit more to get to the coffee shop. Therein lies the latest absurdity, while wannabe-Nazis are still screeching about others being forced to show records, others are forging them for freebies.

JMO but the real issue that this sham has brought to the surface is the commonality of poor mental health. Elderly/infirm aside, there's no denying that many folks lost their minds, became hermits, and had a negative impact on their children and community. I'm not a fan of socialized medicine however have long supported socialized mental healthcare to protect the rest of us. Given the number of folks still publicly outing themselves as loony over COVID, I believe its time we seriously consider reopening state asylums, removing the nuts from positions of trust, suspending licenses and voting privileges, and addressing the situation before they cause a real disaster.

International travel is most certainly not "normal". I can't go on vacation to Europe or Australia or New Zealand yet. Many countries have stringent quarantine requirements. If I leave this country for some other reason, I have to quarantine upon return. Some Americans may be trying to pretend that it's normal, but it is not.

Sure you can. Back in reality there's no quarantine. Living on the Canadian border I can attest that many folks on both sides of the border have been crossing to work and play daily since last spring's "nonessential shutdown" (I'd argue both terms) ended. We actually have several in our group this weekend attending tomorrow's race, and crossing the river to go bar-hopping is common. Travel abroad resumed similarly. Sales engineers have been traveling between continents, my wife pet sits for two. Another good friend just came back from a visit home to India. We did a group tour of London and Paris last summer, S America this winter, and have been considering Mediterranean cruises this summer. 2020 was an epic year for those of us not stuck in our own heads and willing to risk the boogeyman of COVID for steals on travel. Again, not knocking the elderly/infirm and legitimately feel bad for them, however their need for caution didn't make the world stop.

It was younger, carefree jet setters that spread it to the elderly. Early hot initiation sites included Colorado where the wealthy headed to ski after getting Covid at, and fleeing, hot spots in Europe.

Glad that some people had a good time.

Hmmm...

I had presumed that TSA human scanning equipment.... most of us have-had-to walk-thru/spread-eagle-for... would be modified to include body temperature monitoring/alerts [anything above, say 99.0F]... and possibly body chemistry vapors for communicable disease/infection detection. Or maybe rotate disease detection dogs to walk along the line... OH well.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

I am reminded to follow my own opinion, and to be tolerant of other's opinions of the pandemic.

We have all experienced it differently and so formed our different opinions of it.

Whilst we've all been affected by the pandemic in some way or another, many have not been touched directly, personally, by the pandemic; certainly not in the same way as front line health workers.

But, please don't use the term "boggeyman" to describe the pandemic; out of respect for those who have been directly and personally impacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back