Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

You Know You're Old/Young If ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashereng

Petroleum
Nov 25, 2005
CA
I have been reading various comments in the fora which seems to date the poster as "old" or "young" sometimes.

I though maybe there is sufficient interest to compile a list to help the old identify with the young, and the young to identify with the old.

If you are in between, I guess pick a side?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

text editor on the 360? That's pretty modern. My father took a training course on the 360, where the programming was done with patch cords.

78 rpm, sure - but do you have any 78 rpm singles?

Of course, if someone has any wax cylinders, that would certainly trump any 78 rpm stuff.

TTFN

Oh, how about the mechanical pencils with the single long lead with the "pointer" with its sandpaper for sharpening the points.

And, those wonderful ink pens that had the India ink reservoirs that you manually filled?

And those little bags of rosin for drying out the ink drawings.

TTFN

You're old if none of your childhood toys required batteries.

I was just poor and only had sticks, rocks, and lizards to play with. [smile]

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

You're old when you used to turn in (riding a bike) GLASS Coke bottles at the nearest liquor store for change or candy. A candy bar was 5 or 10 cents and 25 cents for a large one.

You're old when you could play at a construction site without being kicked off or arrested.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

You're old when you remember Texas Instruments and Timex Sinclair being big names in home computers.

You're old when you start in on family history research and find your great-granddad was a Civil War Veteran.

I remember playing with the very first release of redline hotwheels. If I had those in unopened packages today, I could make a mint.

StompingGuy wrote "Blinking flip! If my great grandad were a civil war veteran I could be be over 300 years old! Now that is old!"

You know your old when you remember teachers made you learn stuff like when the Civil War was and how to do simple math, to know - THE CIVIL WAR ENDED 141 YEARS AGO! How the crap do you get 300 years old?

CorBlimey,

Touch harsh but point well made.

I'm sure the UK and US aren't the only countries to have had civil wars referred to as just 'The Civil War'.

Any other takers and how old would it make you!

I think just about every country is either a product of a civil war, or has had a civil war in their history.

Yes, most Americans are US centric. And, yes, most Europeans are Europe centric (respective of their country).

It's only natural.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back