Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Young's vs. temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxterl

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2006
US
Hi again,

Anybody got any info on the temperature variation of Young's modulus in stainless?

...L

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

We need to compensate 0 to 60degC, so however many temperatures gives us a nice curve fit.

Tension alone will work...

...L

The two data points mentioned above will work. They are from an actual graph of Young's Modulus in tension for Austenitic stainless steels. At 0 deg C,this is 32 deg F and at 60 deg C, this is 140 deg F. You can interpolate your specific values between these temperatures (there is little to no change in Modulus between 32 and 70 deg F).

Adding to metengr's information.
316 SS

27C 28.0 x 10^6

93C 28.1 x 10^6

149C 27.5 x 10^6

304 SS

27C 28.0 x 10^6

93C 27.9 x 10^6

149C 27.1 x 10^6

Hmmmm.

From your data, I get (1-28.0/27.5)*1/122degC, or 148ppm/degC.

From metengr I get (1-28.8/28.2)*1/70degF, or 304ppm/degF, 170ppm/degC.

From a graph in "Elevated Temperature Modulus Measurements using the Impulse Excitation Technique (IET)", I get 315 ppm/degC.

Throw out the outlier and average to 159ppm/degC?

...L

I also have a bunch of good data for E vs temp.
The problem that I have is that differences in published E values are huge (+/-10%).
If you really need to know, then you need to make some measurements yourself. Most published data is looking at large ranges.
The way that your parts are made and the exact composition will have an impact down at this level.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

Look in the ASME B&PV Code Sec. II subpart 2 - they have Elasticity vs. Temp for all kinds of alloys [thermal expansion & conductivity too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back