Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

z profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

raysapp

Aerospace
Aug 26, 2009
US
I'm having trouble controlling NCM behavior on a z profile op. I specified ramp between passes but it appears to disregard this part of the way down and uses transfer method. In addition, when it uses transfer method, it doesn't focus on one feature (depth first) but bounces back and forth between other features as if I selected level first. I've played a little with the merge setting but I don't think it applies to this. Any help appreciated.

Ray S
NX 7.0.1.7

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From your attached image I am thinking it is using level first because the two islands are close together. A GTAC engineer mentioned that behavior is coded into software. I remember asking about what the condition is for it to occur but they didn't have a definite answer; likely the distance between walls as it relates to the tool dia. As is with most things like this there was probably a huge customer who pressured the change and it was incorporated as long as it caused minimal grief to the rest of the user base. However, IMO when programming geometry like this it is only a matter of time before that behavior saves you from the tool cutting hard/crashing on an adjacent island if you have little space between, a lot of stock, straight walls/little draft, etc-.

In this case if you really want ramp depth first you might have to create separate operations. Another option might be to let it cut level first but use a region start point between the islands to reduce air time.

NX 7.5

Tingsryd, thanks for the response, that's what I suspected. The distance between islands is about .06 and my cutter is .055. I did end up creating separate ops. for clusters of islands to avoid that behavior, kind of time consuming. What seemed buggy was that level cutting occurred at the top, where there was more room (the islands are drafted).

Ray S
NX 7.0.1.7

Now that you point out the behavior at the top but not near the bottom, that does seems odd. If anything I think it would have done level first the entire depth. I have seen some sporadic engages like that where surfaces are non-steep but your example seem a lot more straight forward. I would submit an IR with GTAC.

NX 7.5

I can test it in 7.5.5-mp2 and 8.0.2 if you like.

I am curious, as well, if the output is the same. We have a programmer that is sitting back a couple versions, by choice, and he seems to often spend time on work-arounds rather than shooting for the correct path on the first try.

NX7.5.5 mp02
NX8.0.2

Later today I'll upload a file.

As for your other programmer, I'll never understand that mindset. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part the software does get better. Thread milling for example pre 7.5 is awful. It looks like it hasn't been touched since V14. And yet some companies are less forgiving than others when it comes to the temporary drop in productivity associated with trading up, so I try not to judge.

Since you're on the latest, perhaps you could answer a couple questions for me. I'm looking for ammunition to get my employer to bite the bullet and get us back on.

1.Are you (or anyone else out there) using the Volumill plug-in? How well is it integrated? (And yes I know its extra. About $5,000.00 was the quote we got). I'm mostly concerned with cavity mill, i.e. is it a cut pattern like follow part. Trochoidal has some flawed algorithms wherein it will lunge at the opening of a slot and nearly double the radial engagement. I'm looking forward to something better.

2. I'm also interested in NX CMM Inspection. I heard Pre 7.5 doesn't work very well. I guess this could of been answered by a reseller but they tend to exaggerate reliability.

Thanks

Ray S
NX 7.0.1.7

Sorry, I do not use Volumill nor the CMM Inspection add-ons. I would start a fresh thread to pose those questions so they get the proper exposure.

As for the mindset we were speaking of, a prime example is when Mark Rief has brought up differences between programmers when using the graphical tool path editor; some programmers hardly ever touch it while others hack and chop operations. By the way, I hardly ever use the editor LOL.

NX7.5.5 mp02
NX8.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back