Z662 Visual Inspection Under ASME B31.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishEngineerInBC

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2018
CA
Hi All,

First post to the forum after many years of reading. I am working in the Gas industry here in BC Canada. Our main code of operation, installation and fabrication is CSA Z662 (2020 Edition)

Per Section 7.2.5 of said code we are allowed to fabricate in a off site shop environment under ASME B31.3. Provided we met certain requirements with regards to welder qualifications etc.

7.2.5 states the below. My interpretation is that any welds produced under this clause (and therefore under ASME B31.3) must meet both the visual and non-destructive inspection/examination requirements of ASME B31.3 in its entirety. I am wondering if anyone using Z662 or B31.3 has run into this requirement in the past. I would value any comment or input. Thanks

There is a commentary available for this Clause.
For other than partial-penetration butt welds, welding procedure specifications that are established and
qualified as specified in the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section IX may be used, provided
that
a) the welder qualification tests are as specified in the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code,
Section IX;
b) the methods of visual and nondestructive inspection techniques and the acceptance criteria of the
production welds are as specified in the examination requirements of ASME B31.3 for normal fluid
service, with
i) the extent of nondestructive inspection as specified in Clause 7.10.3;
ii) the qualification of the nondestructive personnel as specified in Clauses 7.14.8 and 7.15.6, as
applicable; and
iii) the visual examination and nondestructive inspection records are retained as specified in
Clauses 7.10.2.4, 7.14.9, and 7.15.11, as applicable;
c) the requirements of Clauses 7.2.6, 7.2.7, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.9[/color]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back