Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zero Thickness Cohesive Layer - Orphan Mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

isyhadh

Marine/Ocean
Nov 23, 2012
GB

Hi, I would like to ask your opinion and expertise on orphan mesh? what is orphan mesh, where is the feature in model tree in abaqus can I find and use this technique?
I want to model zero thickness cohesive layer for 3D model, is it advisable to use this technique (orphan mesh) ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi isyhadh,

An orphan mesh is a collection of elements and nodes that have no associated geometry already defined in CAE. Orphan meshes are typically imported from other FEA or general preprocessor software or from an Abaqus input file. You could use an orphan mesh to create a zero-thickness cohesive layer, but you can also create a zero thickness mesh from meshed geometry in CAE (easily if your geometry is simple enough). To do this, you can create a cell with a finite thickness, say 1E-4, and then once it is meshed using cohesive elements, you can edit the mesh so that all the nodes on one surface are offset a distance of 1E-4 so the resulting elements have zero thickness.

Regards

Firehole Composites

dear compositefeaguru

i really appreciate your input and advice
i believe what you said is right, but can you please reexplain to me on more elaborative and simple words

sorry, i'm new and beginner of abaqus

you seems very expert and advanced, hope you can consider as i didn't quite get it

many2 thanks
cheers

You could use an orphan mesh to create a zero-thickness cohesive layer, but you can also create a zero thickness mesh from meshed geometry in CAE (easily if your geometry is simple enough). To do this, you can create a cell with a finite thickness, say 1E-4, and then once it is meshed using cohesive elements, you can edit the mesh so that all the nodes on one surface are offset a distance of 1E-4 so the resulting elements have zero thickness.

how to practically do it

thanks
really appreciate your time

You could use an orphan mesh to create a zero-thickness cohesive layer, but you can also create a zero thickness mesh from meshed geometry in CAE (easily if your geometry is simple enough). To do this, you can create a cell with a finite thickness, say 1E-4, and then once it is meshed using cohesive elements, you can edit the mesh so that all the nodes on one surface are offset a distance of 1E-4 so the resulting elements have zero thickness.

how to practically do it

thanks
really appreciate your time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back