Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Zig-zag 60 degree phase shifting transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenal

Electrical
Aug 20, 2001
US
The situation: Neighboring utility uses the the same voltage wye grounded system as we do, but is shifted from us by 60 degrees. In order to allow a closed transition transfer, our neighbor is proposing to use a delta/zig-zag phase shifting transformer. I know zig-zags are used for grounding, but fail to see how ground currents would pass to the delta side without getting trapped in the delta connection. Can anyone explain?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks. The connection will also not have a ground reference on the delta side. Once the normal wye source is removed, voltages will be all over the place due to normal unbalance. Agreed?

How about a wye/delta transformer with one set of connections reversed?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Can't get 60 degrees out of a wye/delta no matter how hard you try. Need another cup of coffee Bill? ;-)

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

"Need another cup of coffee Bill?" Probably a good idea David.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

You can get a 60 degree shift out of a Y-Y. But only if you shift the leads on one side from neutral to bushing.
That would avoid a zig zag.

Thanks cranky. I think you mean a YNyn6 connection? That's what I determined, it will allow unbalanced load currents when feeding in either direction. This realization led to my next question regarding the need for a tertiary.

We use phantom tertiary's in larger auto transformers, as it make the protection of such easer. But buried tertiaries, is not that bad either. But either one will add a zero sequence source. The question might be if you need another ground source.

Cranky,
I'd love to here more about this, since we have some auto-transformers coming up also. For continuity, let's continue in the other thread thread238-514665. I believe the zz/delta is off the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back