Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zinc Levels higher than permited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrial
Aug 11, 2006
US
Good afternoon,
I oversee a very small industrial wastewater process that has permitted levels to be maintained. My last two reports have shown higher than allowed Zinc levels and my attempts to correct have failed. Our system is very simple in design, we collect our water in a 7000 gallon tank maintain the pH at 10.25, transfer to a 700 gallon retention tank introduce a flocculants called Klaride. After 45 minute of retention, we then transfer small amounts to a clarifier and gently blend in a polymer to get the collagulation process started the material then falls out and the clear water flows over the weir to our discharge to be treated with sulfuric acid for a pH adjustment between 7-8.5.
We have been advised to try a Chelant Bond Breaker. This is new to me and wanted to get another opinion. I have also heard we are too high on our pH. I was told to keep it this high to keep the zinc in solution.

Thank you for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would also suggest that you investigate using a Chelation Resin to remove the Zinc. The look like and are similar to Ion Exchange resins that are used in Demineralizers and Water Softeners, but, remove metals by a somewhat different process. The are regenerable for reuse using acid and caustic like a Demineralizer is regenerated. Too much other detail to discuss here. Take a look at the following web site:

Gary Schreiber, CWS VI
The Purolite Co.

I know of an industrial pretreatment plant that had a similar problem. They searched for a source of zinc in the chemicals they used and couldn't find one. On a whim, the plant manager sent some tap water out for zinc testing and it came back out of limits. The city was using some kind of zinc containing chemical in their water treatment process and had the dose way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back