Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Zinc per MIL-A-18001K

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoltSlinger

Industrial
Jun 24, 2015
US
A customer is wanting me to manufacture some Fasteners out of Zinc. I first thought they meant they wanted zinc plated Fasteners but after discussing it with their engineers the customer came back and confirmed the wanted Fasteners made from zinc.
Not being familiar with zinc material (as bar, I deal with zinc plating every day) I asked what spec or grade of zinc. They said MIL-A-18001K. Which I know nothing about.
So:
Can I machine it?
Should I machine it?
Where do I get it?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It has moved from a Mil Specification to a DTL, MIL-DTL-18001L; K is still available at the above URL.

Title: Anodes, Sacrificial Zinc Alloy

Scope: This specification covers the requirements for zinc anodes (galvanic protectors) in the form of plates, slabs, discs, and rods for corrosion protection (cathodic protection) of metals and alloys. It also includes features of anode design and fabrication, such as cast-in cores for mounting purposes. The material described by this specification contains elements for which the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set standards for exposure limits. Handling, storage, and application of this material should be in accordance with the 29 CFR 1910 and 1915 and any other safety and health regulations (local or otherwise) which may apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back