Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ZInc plating of wiremesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratheesh_n

Mechanical
Dec 27, 2016
AE
Dear All,

We are doing zinc plating of wiremesh ,(wire - 4.5mm dia). Anyone please tell how to check the coating thickness of wire ? is measurment with elechometer is acceptable ?

And how to maintain the shining of plating in packing and storage

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CocoE:

I generally spec, "HDG EXPOSED TO THE ELEMENTS SHALL BE PASSIVATED USING A NON-CHROMATE PROCESS", because of health related issues with Chromate treatment. Passivating the HDG material will not likely resolve the coating issue. It's likely related to the actual 'dipping'.

Dik

Dear Dik,

Could you please read my reply once again?

I am not saying to do chromate treatment to solve the galvanizing defects. My suggestion is to do it on "electroplated" wires, and I hop I am not diverted from the initiator's question. HDG is always best solution than electroplating due to many reasons (no alloy layer, less thickness, less Zn density), I was just trying to help him out to make his product better.

Also, for your information, all chromates are not having health issues, and if you can go through ASTM or ISO electroplating standards you may find it right there.

CocoE

I did... but, would not passivate electrogalvanised material. Only use for this coating is interior non=corrosive environment, IMHO.

Dik

Dear Dik,

Yeah mostly only non corrosive environment due to the factors I stated above, but I have seen electroplated "items" are used even on the exposed (I am not saying it really corrosive) locations where HDG may cause undesirable changes like clogs, lumps or uneven build. Electroplating or mechanical galvanizing (small components) are often used in such occasions where a good surface finish is desirable.

What do you say on that?

CocoE

If the environment is non-corrosive, sure, use electroplating... zinc, chrome, or whatever..

If finish and tolerance is essential, and it is a corrosive environment, then construct it out of material that is non-reactive.

I specifically stipulate that cadmium is not used.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back