Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ZK worm parameters 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2021
GB
Hello,

I am working with an existing software application that generates dressing programs for different types of threads and worms and I have been asked to look into its support for ZK type worms.

I have been reading up the documentation we have on this (sadly some of it appears to have been lost when the company has moved offices over the years) and I've found some research papers on the internet which have given me some assistance so far, for example, "ZK-Type Dual-Lead Worm and Worm Gear Drives: Geometry" by B-W Bair and Professor C-B Tsay from the Transactions of the ASME journal in September 1998, along with a copy of the DIN 3975 standard that has helped and a few of the internal design notes.

The application I'm working with does ask for some standard values such as tip (OD) diameter, reference (pitch) circle diameter, root diameter, helix angle, whether it's a single- or dual-lead worm, whether it's right- or left-hand worm and the lead.

It does ask for some data about the generating tool: pressure angles, helix angle, tip & root fillet radii, tip width and tip diameter.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to guide me on what data would be provided on a schematic for a ZK worm please?

Many thanks,

Richard Watt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mfgenggear - thank you for creating that for me, I'll download that when I'm back at home as I can't get the download links to work from the office.

spigor - I'm having some issues with the code that creates the axial worm profile from the cutter/tool profile as it's making the worm tooth depth about 0.5 mm shorter than it should be, so I'll have to fix that before I can provide the full axial profile, however, I do have an intermediate stage one I could share if that would do in the meantime?

Richard - it would be nice if you would calculate your axial profile of the worm (as soon as you get the code fixed), compare it with mine and let us see the results.

Richard
I drew the normal view in AutoCAD, I use to do this to cheat for worms
saved as an stp file, Import this as a cad file and zoom up, there is an involute also next to the straight sided
this is the min and max wheel with require to be held by the operator should be approximately 20 inch Diameter wheel.
let me know if it was helpful.
edit: oops wrong file

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0dd68e63-bc80-4a38-ad04-e46f4ebde99d&file=AssemblyWormGear2.stp
spigor - no problem, I do have an intermediate stage profile I could post up that is just the flanks if that would be any use?

I'll download the files you and mfgenggear created and posted as soon as I can - I'm juggling 2 projects at the moment so finding time for both as I can :)

You have my profile calculation results above. If you ever choose to compare them with yours and let us know about that, it would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back