Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

12 ft dia meter condenser min wall calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshh

Civil/Environmental
Mar 27, 2018
US
I am trying to find the min wall requirement for a 12 ft dia meter condenser. TEMA does not apply since the diameter is greater than 100 inches and ASME section VIII 16 doest not apply to heat exchangers.

How can i find the min wall required?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"TEMA does not apply since ..." TEMA generally refers back to the Code of Construction for such things as required thicknesses, etc.

So, first, decide what it is.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Thanks ...

it is vacuum pressure....condensing water....

it is a 1968 condenser installed at the power plant....

Sshhhh...

If indeed this is a Steam Surface Condenser, then the wall thickness and general design is controlled by external pressure. But there are many other details that you must become aware of

As mentioned above, these are peculiar beasts and the structural design requirements are outlined in HEI standards. (SSCs designs can be simple or very complex .... search eng-tips to get an idea of some of the issues discussed)

Since your question implies that you have never designed one of these before and your unwitting MBA boss has assigned you to "find the wall thickness" ..... I think that you may be over your head.

I have specified and purchased Steam Surface Condensers for small power plants in years past. The best thing you can do is to fill out the standard datasheet and contact some of the major SSC fabricators.

Here is a place to start:

Please tell us more about your project, what you were assigned and what materials and space limitations you have

Best of luck ...

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Thanks everyone for the useful answers.
Yes, it is a steam surface condenser. It is 3/4 inch thick and under 14.1 psi pressure. I will check out the codes.

As mentioned, we got it in 1968 from a company that went out of business 20 years back. And, I could not find any minimum wall requiremnt from the calculation or drawings. I could not locate the material certificate or anything from manufacturer.

I have never designed one before. I tried to find min wall thickness requiremnt in ASME VIII and TEMA. But could not find anything applicable to this condenser.

Thanks again. I greatly apppeciate your help.

Have you checked ASME VIII-1 UG-28 for vessels subject to external pressure? Its not as quick as an internal pressure, you have to follow along and go to some tables in the Appendices. Since mode of failure is a buckling response, you need to look to location of any stiffeners. I've used it to determine minimum wall thickness for a heater drain tank that had water at saturation. The internal sparger could meant the tank needed to be rated for nearly full vacuum.

Jeff
Pipe Stress Analysis
Finite Element Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back