Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

12v DC motor control

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenzero

Automotive
Apr 3, 2003
US
Hello,

I want to make a 12v motor turn 90 to 180 degrees with one push of a momentary switch, and, have a second switch that will send it back to it's original posistion. I am not an electrial engineer, but I have the ability to built PC boards if that is needed for this application.

Thanks!
Harry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Need to know what type of motor, is it a stepper motor or servo. Where did you get it from? If it is a stepper motor then it will be simple to move.

How many leads(wires) are coming off the body of the motor?

How much accuracy do you need? Can you use a cam and microswitch ? ( connect a diode in series with the motor
and switch diode's polarity by limit switches and VTG's polarity by control switch.)

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Accuracy is not that important, I can attach a cam to the motor. Limit swiches are ok, I just want provide monetary power or ground to activate the motor and have it run until it hits the limit switch. Then provide momentary power or ground at a later time to send the motor back to the original position which can also have limit switch. Can this be accomplished with one monentary switch? Or will it require an up/down switch setup?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Harry

Suggestion: This type of motion is normally electrically very demanding on the motor. It would have to be designed for such duty. It is better to have the motor run in one direction and implement the rest mechanically, if possible. If you intend to do some research, perhaps, a magnetically levitated motor rotor with curvilinear motor propulsion, without friction, could be another solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back