Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

15kV Fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwparker

Electrical
Aug 7, 2007
CA
Im trying to spec a 12.47kV load break switch with a 600A fuse, or close to it. Finding the 600A switch is easy but I cant seem to find a 600A fuse/fuse holder. Only 540A but requires 800A holder, what am I missing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isnt ferroresonance not as big of an issue at 12kV

Not as prevalent as with the higher voltages but still can occur.

Alan

well, given they are wye connected and at 12kV I suspect little issues with 1ph protection. Worse case we will install a vcb later.

Still havent entirely resolved this issue. Even with double barrel fuses I cannot seem to get a 600A fuse within a 600A switch. I've checked schnider ele and square D with no luck..

Cutler Hammer RBA-800 series are offered in 450, 540 and 720A.

The 540A rating is really 600A (two fuses in parallel) derated by ten percent.

Right, but isnt the RBA-800 an 800Amp fuse holder? Does that not require a 1200A switch?

You'll probably have to ask your Eaton rep. I can't tell from the literature. It may depend on your NRTL listing requirements.

Alan
“The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is.” Unk.

The bus in your switchgear can be manufactured or modified as necessary to accomadate the RBA-800 fuse mounts.

The price of the fuses gets rather expensive. I have seen eurpean DIN size fuses used frequently due to lower costs. Using a vacuum breaker with protection relay may not be that much more cost wise compared with a set of RBA-800's, mounting parts and a set of spare fuse links.

Like alehman said, consult with the eaton rep and local regulations and codes first.

yeah, Im going to get a quote for a sf6 switch vs. fuses. I need to find the number for an actual technical sales rep for some suppliers. I can only seem to find local low voltage reps and online (useless) run-around numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back