1955 ASA/ASME B16.5 Flange Pressure-Temperature Ratings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRS713

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2016
US

Hello everyone,

I'm in search of the flange pressure-temperature rating tables for class 150 & 300 flanges in the 1955 B16.5 or B31.3 codes. I wasn't aware tables were in B31.3 in that time, but my pipe spec references both (see attached pic). It would be greatly appreciated if someone could assist with this. Thanks in advance!

*EDIT #1* - My question is regarding CS flanges.
*EDIT #2* - B31.1 is actually what the picture below sates (Thanks LittleInch). We can disregard B31.1 as this must be a general spec and B31.1 does not apply at my facility.

Pipe_Spec_Flange-Temp_Rating_Reference_gggfwn.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@1503-44

Thanks very much! This was very informative. The only issue for my current needs is I'm looking to interpolate for an exact value and it's a bit difficult with the graph. Per the graph and reading through the history, it says thru 1968, the press-temp ratings for 150# ratings should have remained the same. But the table for the 1932e shows 200psig @ 300°F for class 100 (later changed to class 150 w/o change in ratings, per article) whereas the thru 1968 data point on the graph in Fig2 shows it to be slightly greater than 200psig. I'm looking to interpolate to see what the temp is at 170psig so not sure if I can trust the table in 1932e or that graph for my purposes. Still, learned a great deal from that article.

If anyone still has any tables from 1955 or nearby years, would be greatly appreciated!

HRS173,
What's your purpose of digging old data? What's your plan? Once we know, probably, we can help you better in the right direction?

GDD
Canada

Looks to be about 425F for 170 psig.

BTW, your picture states B31.1, not B31.3 and B16.5.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

@GD2

We're adding in a new 450# to 150# steam letdown and are looking at sizing a desuperheater. Our 150# steam header is limited by flange rating. To size our desuperheater and understand how much flow we need to cool it off, I was looking to confirm the flange ratings at different pressures.

@LittleInch

Thank you very much for this info and the correction! Was that from 1955's EDD of B16.5?

@Texas Piper

Thanks for the catalog! All of this info has been very helpful. Really appreciate everyone's time. Looks like per the catalog, it's 170 psig @ 433°F. Interesting that it differs slightly from Little Inch's number and with the values in the other document. I'll most likely go based off of this Ladish catalog unless I see otherwise as that's the first true table I've seen of B15.5 (it's 1953 & not not 1955, but doesn't appear that ratings changed).

HRS173,
Check your local regulatory authority. You can use the 1955 design code for allowable design stresses and evaluation. But there are situations where the current doe edition has stricter rules. If it is so, you might have to follow the current edition's requirement.

GDD
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back