Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1997 UBC Chapter 23 "Mode III or IV" ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomHubbell

Civil/Environmental
Sep 29, 2002
US
In the 1997 UBC, Chapter 23, Section 2316.2, Table 2.3.2 has two footnotes which address using load duration factor Cd greater than 1.33. However, the footnotes refer to "... connections exhibiting Mode III or IV behaviour..." which I cannot find any reference to within the UBC. I believe these are failure modes of some type but need additional info to determine their applicability.

Can someone point me in the right direction regarding "Mode III or IV" literature?

Thanks

Tom Hubbell

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found the "definitions" to MODEs of failure in the fourth edition of the AITC manual.

Basically, they are as follows:

Mode Im - Bearing yield of wood from dowels (i.e. bolts, nails, lag screws, etc) bearing on the main member

Mode Is - Bearing yield of wood bearing on the secondary members

Mode II - Yielding of the wood due to pivoting of the dowel and crushing near the face of the members.

Mode IIIm - Yielding occurs in the dowel with bending at one plastic hinge point per shear plane (single shear only)

Mode IIIs - Yielding occurs in the dowel with bending at one plastic hinge point per shear plane in secondary members (single and double shear conditions)

Mode IV - Yielding occurs in the dowel with 2 plastic hinge points per shear plane.

When you use the NDS, there are tables of bolt or lag screw capacities that are simply the controlling result of the different Mode capacity formulae. The NDS also includes these formulae for your use in programs or spreadsheets if desired. Basically, Modes III and IV involve dowel yielding while Modes I and II involve failure of the wood.

Okay, found it.

The various modes are shown and explained in the NDS-1997, Appendix I, p164.

Thanks again for the info.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back