2 Column Lift Lateral Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikka

Structural
Sep 27, 2023
AU
Hi all,
I am to design 2 columns to resist the lateral forces during operation of a passenger lift in a two storey building. Columns marked in red in image attached. Those are 200x5 SHS and has a height of 6m with the intermediate floor at 3m height.
Screenshot_2024-06-06_103047_sdn9pf.png

With these loads (F1 and F2 are lateral loads and loads on the left of the table are critical loads.
Screenshot_2024-06-06_103125_jgou1n.png

The lift sits within a timber framed first floor and timber truss roof on top.
Please reply with suggestions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest you draw out a picture of how the loads are applied, calculate the imposed demands on the columns, and check that a 200x5 SHS works for those demands.

If you want anything more intelligent from us then start by doing the above and report back with a proper question.
It is not clear what you want us to do other than I think do your job for you, for free.

The load is taken as acting at the top free end of the column. The deflections in the column are higher than height/500 (limit as per australian standards). The deflection due to lateral load F2 can be normalized by providing a strut between columns. But lateral load F1 is critical. My question was whether a connection to the timber framed floor at mid height of column would be able to provide lateral resistance.
Or can a braced wall around the shaft ( grey shade in image) and a typical connection of a strut from the wall to the column will resist the lateral load (F1)

Provide RC wall around the shaft ( grey shade in image) and sleep with comfort. You would need RC wall shaft to support the mechanical room also.

My opinion.

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

In the USA, residential elevators usually use LVL oriented as columns embedded in the walls for the lift track attachment. They sometimes provide lateral loads to design for but most are just constructed w/o engineers input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back