Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2007 Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockguy

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
US
Ok, who has recieved the CD's for SW 2007, where are you located and when do you plan to install?

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 8/12/06)
SW 2006 SP 4.0 / SW 2007 SP 0.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On 7-26 I talked to SW support directly and they said CD's usually ship a month after web release. I have not received my CD's yet and I will install immediately as well with a co-habitation of 2006. I already have 2007 installed with the web version and as most of you know SW has said you must install/update the CD SP0.0 version over the web release before the updating with the next Service Pack.

East Tennessee - Have not received yet, but I will likely wait until I get some more info on the license management/seat locking changes that are coming as well as waiting for SP1. The person who managed our installs in the past is no longer here, at least for the forseeable future. She made the decision to put all our installs on the same serial #. I'd like to make sure it's done right this time.

NorCal - Have not received yet, but most likely will wait until I read about all the problems and fixes before I load. I'm in the middle of some projects so I don't want to corrupt any data. It's funny that SWx is shipping a new product along with some retail outlets Christmas catalogs.[santa3]

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Northeast. 1 pm, it was a tuesday, and I was eating a sandwich.

Here is what I don't get. They give you a dvd now, which is great, but they still give you all the cd's. If you can afford a seat of solidworks, an expensive graphics card, a sweet rig full of CPU and memory, don't you think you could shell out 50 bucks for a dvd reader.

RFUS

Glad they kept the CDs. We don't have a DVD and don't plan on getting one.

As for the original question about when we plan to upgrade, here is the answer. We just changed to 2006 from 2004 and saw performance drop significantly. We followed all tips from this forum to try to improve this performance drop. Still, this performance drop has had a serious impact on our productivity. In addition 2006 SP4.1 has introduced at least one very serious drawing bug. There is no reason to believe that 2007 will improve on this. Therefore, we don't plan on installing it any time soon.

I think 2007 is the last to ship CDs, After that its on DVD only.

And Paul....a DVD ROM drive is $20....kind of silly to not get one...you probably waste more than $20 dollars worth of time swapping CDs during the install and service pack upgrades.

What kind of performance issues are you seeing....part rebuild...file laoding...assembly rebuilds...drawing rebuilds? All of the above.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

Los Angeles, CA
Not received yet. Will not install until 8 computers are updated to WinXP Pro and SP1.0 is released and functional.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Haven't received them here in Texas yet. I'll install SW07 for learning the new features, but will keep on using SW06 for production. Usually we wait for at least SP1.0 before using a new release for production.

I am assuming that SP5.0 of 2006 will be out before SP1.0 of 2007 will be. Stability or new features, hmmm? [ponder]

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

Milwaukee, WI

Manufacturing Engineering received theirs today.
Design is still waiting.

Unfortunately, we probally will not be able to install for 6 months or so.
That's how long it took last year after the SW release for the ESPRIT copatability upgrade to show up.

Remember...
[navy]"If you don't use your head,[/navy] [idea]
[navy]your going to have to use your feet."[/navy]

Arrived Friday here in Michigan. Will install when I get a few free hours.

SolidWorks 2006 SP4.1
Windows XP Pro, Pentium4 3.00GHz
1.5 GB RAM, Matrox P650
Logitech Marble Mouse, CadMan

NE Ohio here - the CDs arrived today. Probably won't install until at least October (after the new budget kicks in and computers get upgraded / replaced).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back