Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2007 Solidworks is SLOW? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

designmr

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2005
US
Just asking about.

We just converted to 2007 Solidworks here at work. Has anyone noticed it runs abit SLOWER then when using 2006? Or is it just us here at work?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Scott makes a very good point, further to this ensure you disable your anti-virus when installing SolidWorks (or any software). Sometimes the anti-virus prevents critical files from being installed and can cause performance and stability issues later on.

Josephv,

A couple of people have mentioned about the "anti-virus" software being disabled on this forum. I know for sure we didn't do that.

A co-worker mentioned to me, that I forgot, though we have Solidworks local on our computers. We will be running COSMOS on the server, plus the router add-in. Being that we will use floating licenses for those two items.

I have found out that uninstalling the older versions of SW can help devert future problems to some degree.

Below are the registries that need to be cleaned out:

These registries should be cleaned out after removal of past versions of SW.

Start\Run > Regedit > OK

Then go remove the following :

HKEY_Current_User\Software\SolidWorks

HKEY_ Local_Machine\Software\Solidworks
HKEY_ Local_Machine\Software\Solidworks Corporation

If some of these settings are not there that's fine as the Uninstall took them away.

Rip

Sounds good Ripper2, will see if the powers that "be", will allows us the time to un-install and then re-stall, plus do all the necessary cleaning...NOT LIKELY

I hear that designmr...

Also, Companies are notorious for promising IT departments more budgeted money 'next year'...
Next year comes…Hello!!! Budget cuts!! ...and guess what department usually gets the major ax works...IT.

You IT guys have my utmost respect for what you have to work through.....

Rip

Well, now I am not sure what is happening here......

I am not sure if it is a SOLIDWORKS issue or HARDWARE now.

Current I am working on a large assembly, approx. 55 MB. The problem started with, I wanted to open the help file in Solid works. With this large assembly and its drawing open (another approx. 3 MB), I would get a message something like “NOT ENOUGH MEMORY to CONTINUE, CLOSE UP PROGRAMS FOR MORE MEMORY, HIT RETRY”, (only Outlook was open), well this basically will shut down Solid works. This seems to happen after a bit of work.

Other times I just can not open this file even after a re-boot. After another re-boot, I can open it and continue my work. I will just save after each one or two modifications.

There are other times, I will get the message, “CAN NOT SAVE FILE TYPE”, not sure what this means at all.

I did not have this problem when using SW 2006, only once 2007 was upgraded. All the files in my folders where converted before I used them.

We had someone else open this file on their computer and try and open the “HELP” file, no problem.

First we did a re-install (FIX) of Solid Works, it didn’t take care of the problem.

This Monday, our IT guy reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled windows and re-installed Solid Works. It seemed like everything was going well, then after about 1 hour of work, “NOT ENOUGH MEMORY”. I’ll re-boot the system about a dozen times per day.

The IT person ran the Dell diagnostic this morning on my computer, everything PASSED.

This assembly like I said is pretty big, with 3 configurations in it, is 2007 having problems with “configurations”? I was thinking of creating a copy of this assembly and taking out my configurations, but adding configurations makes this a more usage assembly at the drawing level.

Can a file be somewhat corrupt and still usable, if so, is there a way to verify a large assemblies integrity? It took too long to create this assembly I would hate to redo it.

I thought to ask you this, before we just assume it is now the hardware. Would hate to replace the computer and then still get this messages.

It’s very noticeable to me, as the day progresses that my computer is slowing down. Revolving this assembly and saving as the minutes go by take longer and longer.

THANKS..

Open your task manager and find out how much RAM is being used when you have these files open. Seems like you are running out of RAM (memory). If thats the case, then enabling the 3GB switch in the windows boot file will allow you to access more memory - more then what Windows is allowing SolidWorks to get to. This may be what you are seeing, and just adding more RAM would not necessarily fix it, unless its coupled with the 3GB switch being enabled. You may want to jump up to 3GB and enable the switch, depending on what you find with the task manager.

Pete

We have 2GB of RAM on our computers and have the 3GB switch enabled. We were operating without it and SolidWorks was crashing when we hit about 1.3GB of memory useage - far below the 2GB that was installed. Windows was reserving too much space for itself and not letting applications use as much as what is available.

Pete

Ok, we tried opening this assembly with the Task manager opening. With Solidwork open and no files, we sat at about 521 MB....then as the assembly was opening it was climbing 880MB, 1.10GB, 1.4GB....1.56GB...1.85GB..the avaiable went to zero twice, then "insufficent memory".

We did try it on another persons EXACT same computer, and it NEVER got pass 1.55GB, his available never hit zero.

So, the IT guy is going to bump me to 4GB of memory....

So, it looks like yes it is a large file, but my memory is not good. Heck the machine is only a couple month old..

stay tuned.

But does having CONFIGURATIONS in a large assembly cause a file to be larger?

designmr ... before installing the extra RAM, activate the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file, and then monitor the Task Manager. I guarantee you will see an improvement ... not in speed, just in the ability to use more RAM. You should see the 1.55GB go to about 2.5GB.

The boot.ini file is located in the root folder and will look something like;
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn [b]/3GB[/b]
All you need do is add the /3GB as shown.

[cheers]

designmr said:
We did try it on another persons EXACT same computer, and it NEVER got pass 1.55GB, his available never hit zero.
Does that mean the assembly was out on your network? If so, it could be a bottleneck between your machine and the server. If so, more RAM may not help.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
CAD Administrator
SW '07 SP2.0, Dell M90, Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM, nVidia 2500M

the boot.ini file is found on the root of C:. In windows you must turn off the view setting to hide protected operating system files. Once you do that, you can see the boot.ini file. It will be read-only at first, so you have to right click on the file and change the readonly state under properties. Also, you will want to copy the line in the boot.ini file and mess around with that copied line to add your 3GB switch statement. Do this so incase you screw up the syntax, you can still boot into windows. After you edit, reboot windows and then select the OS instance to boot into - this will be the second one if the second line in the boot.ini file contains the 3GB switch argument...

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back