Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2007 Solidworks is SLOW? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

designmr

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2005
US
Just asking about.

We just converted to 2007 Solidworks here at work. Has anyone noticed it runs abit SLOWER then when using 2006? Or is it just us here at work?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks all....the IT guy, order 4GB for my computer, so I should have it in tomorrow...

I was able to open the file, delete the configurations. The task manager showed is was still up to 1.44GB....not a huge difference, considering how much work it would take to create separate modeels.....(by the way, I copied the original, too much work in this assembly.)

That's good news that you will be getting 4GB RAM. However, just installing 4GB RAM will not allow SW to get past the 2GB limit. It will help you reach the limit faster though. [smile]

You will still need to enable the /3GB switch to allow SW (or any other application) to access 3GB.

[cheers]

Well so far, 4GB was added, BLAM, SW still blew up. Dell is coming to add a new Motherboard, I mentioned to the IT guy about adding the /3GB switch, guess that might not happen yet...so we will see...

Like I said, "just installing 4GB RAM will not allow SW to get past the 2GB limit".

From the information you have provided, the motherboard is not the problem. You have reached the memory limit of Windows file processing capability. If you are not having any other mobo related problems, the only things which will help are;

1) Make the files smaller.
2) Switch to a 64 bit OS and computer with more RAM.
3) Use the /3GB switch to increase the 32 bit OS memory limit.

Items 1 and 2 will consume time and $$$$, item 3 costs nothing and can be done in 30 seconds plus a reboot. Tough choice, eh? [smile]

[cheers]

The /3GB sounds the easiest. Myself, I don't mess with program changes that effect the computer...All I need is to mess something up and NOT be able to re-boot my computer. This is why I passed the info to our IT person, but....

Not sure the Dell guy will know anything about this switch, but I will ask when he come today.

Thanks again CorBlimey

Yesterday my system was running fine. Today it took 18 minutes to change sheets. I reloaded a known to be good swOptions.sldreg file. System is back to normal now.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

CorBlimeyLimey,
Yes, what a memory. That is the reason I tried it today on my machine. It happened on another user here a month ago.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

After I reformatted my hard drive, I forgot to set up the /3GB switch so I did that yesterday. Go figure...the problems I had before I reformatted came back! As soon as I got rid of the switch, my system stabalized. Strange...it worked well for the longest time. [surprise]

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
CAD Administrator
SW '07 SP2.0, Dell M90, Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM, nVidia 2500M

DARN, I then put the NEW motherboard, now with 4GB. I figure if the IT guy will not make the change to the boot.ini, I will (though QUITE abit nervous to do that).

But reading JMirisola......should I still mess with it.

Though, if I change it, I can always delete it also

designmr ... Even if the system does not boot properly to its main state, you should be able to boot into safe mode and access the boot.ini file from there.

Jeff ... try adding the /3GB and /userva=2900 switches.

I wonder if the Core Duo CPUs need the little extra RAM allocation than the lone /3GB switch offers?

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back