2012 IRC braced wall lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobNeng

Structural
Jul 19, 2012
US
thread507-319099

The 4' offset is shown on one level. I don't see anywhere indicating that it has to stack over the one below. In fact, figure R602.10.8(2) suggests that the wall panels do not have to stack. The only mention of them having to stack that I can find is Section R602.10.2.1 which references R602.3.5 stating that the braced wall panels must stack if they provide a wind uplift path for the roof framing.

Does that mean that braced wall lines (say interior walls) don't have to have to align or even be within 4' floor-to-floor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Edit: figure 602.10.1.1 seems to suggests that they should align, but I cannot find anywhere that specifically states that

My interpretation of a similar situation is that they do NOT have to stack, but you have to design it to handle those reactions and shear. so if you add an 800# hold down on second floor you better have a clear load path through stacked walls, ie cannot rely on your joists or beams.

Typically i would not utilize a non-stacked interior wall, it makes for an ugly load path and cause complications during design, and often has serviceability issues. However, i have made first floor interior walls with no second floor wall above them.

IRC 2009:
R602.10.1.4 Braced wall panel location (...) All braced wall panels within a braced wall line shall be permitted to be offset from the designated braced wall line.

also of interest
R602.10.6 Braced wall panel connections.
R602.10.7 Braced wall panel support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back