Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

24vdc digital signal cable length limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmarx

Electrical
May 27, 2003
US
what is the longest practical cable length for a 24vdc digital(on/off)siganl ?

I have a Piloteye 2000 flare monitor between 2500ft-3000ft away from control room and need to get digital(on/off) signal to control room. What problems might I encounter ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The main issue would voltage drop due to current. If you going to a digital input or small relay, that should not be a problem.

I'd run shielded twisted pair cable and keep it away from any high current power circuits.

"The perfect is the enemy of the good." -- Voltaire

I used a successfully used a solid state relay as an interface relay at a distance of nearly a mile from a switched 24V source. It was a solution to someone else's poor design, but worked very well. The key is that the SSR 'coil' - actually an opto-coupler - accepts anything from about 3V DC to about 32V DC as an 'on' state which means volt-drops which would cause problems for an electro-mechanical relay don't bother the SSR. It's worth including a burden resistance of a few hundred ohms or so in parallel with the SRR input to give a definite 'off', especially if you have anything carrying heavy current running along a parallel route.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I have gone 1000m (3000 ft) with a standard On/Off signal to a controller. most controllers take about 45mA to sense a logic (1). I typically use #14awg for all my digital signals, so that voltage drop issues don't come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back