Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2D Patterns - Circular Fill not showing as circle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnathamilton

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2008
CA
I am trying to create a 2D pattern for a screen printing operation - the pattern includes a large radius ring segment of 3 mm thickness. I need to fill the face to create a dark enough image on the draft. However when I do this, the nice smooth edges become 5 straight lines that approximate the curve. I've tried increasing the hatch line density but to no avail. Does anyone have any insight on why this is happening and what it will take to fix it? I would like to have as smooth a radius as possible.

thanks
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you actually applied a 'fill' or just cross-hatching?
If you are using ST click the Fill Colour button and make sure the fill is on. Also set the colour to same as Pattern Colour.
I can't remember what it's like on V20 etc but you are looking do the same thing.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Thanks BC - I am using ST on a Core2 Duo machine with an Nvidia Quadro FX 2700 video card.
I went in to the part file and ensured the colours were the same for the fill and hatch. Also went into the Styles definitions in both the part and the draft files and set the line width to black, 0.1 mm thick and 0.1 mm spacing. Also set the resolution on the part view to 300 pixels per inch.
I also tried rotating the part view before placing onto the sheet.

So far it still looks the same. It appears to me that there is a fill limit issue ie. the boundaries for the fill/hatch are not updating to a higher number of segements to approximate a circle and the hatch just goes to these boundaries and stops. If I use the shaded with Visible Edges option, there is a gap between the lines and the hatch.

A bug perhaps?

Thanks again for your help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back