Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd Generation PTFE vs. Reinforced TFE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carltogr

Chemical
Jul 30, 2004
US
Recently, I was getting information on a manufacturer's ball valve. The cut-sheet on the valve states that the seats and seals of the valve are made from 2nd generation PTFE. Anybody know what 2nd generation PTFE is? I have never seen this designation, and I really didn't get a good explanation from the manufacturer. I think its our most common PTFE which we have come to know, but I am not certain. Any ideas? Also, what is the difference between 2nd generation PTFE and Reinforced TFE....is it processing (i.e., recycled vs. virgin)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The reference is to Dyneon, the former Hoechst, grade TFM. It is modified with the monomer used to produce PFA which results in a material possessing extremely high resistance to creep (cold flow) with out the addition of additives, such as fiberglass used in reinforced PTFE parts. Dyneon also claims TFM can be welded to itself with the joint being as strong as the base material. Priced higher than hompolymer grades of PTFE, it is limited to applications requiring the above attributes. The "2nd generation" theme has been worn out by many PTFE manufacturers for years.

We have been requested PTFE named "Flexon" for valves.
Somebody knows this type or anyway registered TM (probably?).
There is a lot of PTFE availbale in the market and I would understand if it is really special o dedicated for some application.
vonbixadmiral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back