Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3.3KV synchronous motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

streeta

Electrical
Dec 20, 2002
BE
Hi people
I am looking for a supplier to give me information on a 3.3KV Synchronous motor which will be used to drive a Mill. Our exsisting one is over 60 years old and am looking to upgrade, preferbly with solid state starter technologly. Do not wish to use liquid resistance starters.
If any one can help out with the direction i could look please let me know

Thanks
Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Streeta
Try this lynk .They should be able to help you
On UKPete's question.
I believe the reason why we choose Sync motors instaid of Async drives, has to do with power factor correction.
In One Copper Mine that I am familiar with,we had 4 rod mills, 5000 hp each and 4 ball mills also 5000 hp.This combined load of 40000 hp was all in sync motors
If you had an equivalent HPower in Induction motors, your
power factor would be extremely low.The cost of Power Factor correction for such large inductive loads would probably exceed the cost of the Syncronous motors.
I would like to learn about another possible reason if anybody knows one.
Thank you

GusD

ABB can supply both. Also Siemens. I am assuming that you are not in North America since you are looking for 3300V. Repost if I'm wrong and I'll give you resources in the US & Canada. BTW, it is always best to mention your general location when asking for resources.

One more thing to add for UKpete, shaft speed is usually an issue. Synch motors can be made to turn at lower speeds without loss of effeiciency, i.e under 600RPM.

By the way, going with an induction motor in place of a synchronous and adding capacitors is just asking for trouble. Stick with the synch.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back