Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 Books a Process Engineer Should Read... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mammut74

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2006
SG
Hello everyone,

This question just comes to mind, because I am starting off as a process engineer in environmental engineering, and I am exposed to a lot of different processes- flue gas processing, steam and condensate circuits, etc.

Can more experienced readers share book titles that provide and describe general P&IDs, their control concepts, and explain the equipment design/ selection

There are many specialized books for my 'wish list above' but are there any 'general' books process engineer start with to understand the thinking and considerations of a process engineer? I have to switch from my 'mechanical' thinking :)

Thanks!
Kai

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The one and only Perry's Chemical Engineering Handbook. It is a must!

I would get a copy of CRANE Technical Paper 410 for fluid hydraulics.

For a third book, I would get a copy of "The Process Engineers Pocket Handbook", by Carl Branan, Gulf Publishing.

You may add to the above list:

David M. Himmelblau: Basic Engineering and Calculations in Chemical Engineering. Prentice Hall.

Nicholas P. Chopey: Handbook of Chemical Engineering Calculations. McGraw-Hill.

D.S. Jones: Elements of Chemical Process Engineering. Wiley.

A Working Guide To Process Equipment and Troubleshooting Process Operations, both by Norm Lieberman. Best books I ever read on Process Engineering. I don't think I was ever really a Process Engineer until I read them. Also suggest Perry's, Crane, Cameron's, and anything by Nicholas Chopey and Milton Beychok are also excellent.

Besides the above mentioned books I like "Applied Chemical Process Design" by Frank Aerstin and Gary Street and two German textbooks probably no one knows.

hahor

Hi hahor,

So what are the German texts?
I am spending one year in Europe now- unfortunately I do not read German. But good to know.

Regards.

Hi mammut,

the (East)-German Texts I like are "Grundzüge der Verfahrenstechnik" and Lehrwerk "Verfahrenstechnik" especially "Reaktionstechnik" I and II. All published by Deutscher Verlag für Grundstoffindustrie Leipzig.

Kind Regards,
hahor

Try these:

R K Sinnott: 'Coulson & Richardson's Chemical Engineering'. Vol 6. Prentice Hall. Butterworth-Heinemann.

Ernest E. Ludwig: Applied Process Design. For Chemical and Petrochemical Plants. Vol.I. Gulf Professional Publishing.

"Process engineering design is the application of chemical, mechanical, petroleum, gas and other engineering talents to the process-related development, planning, designs and decisions required for."

Both collections are very interesting references for general process design but those volumes I mentioned above are 'must-have'.

Regards,

I have gotten much use out of "Practical Process Engineering" by Sandler & Luckiewicz. They go into a lot of detail on piping hydraulics, including complex flow, but they also cover many other topics, such as P&ID's , materials of Construction, Heat Exchangers, Pumps, Vacuum equipment, Compressors, Insulation and Tracing, Pressure Vessels, and others.

Another Lieberman´s great book to add to the list given previously by lastone : "Process Design for Reliable Operations". For me the best book is without any doubt "A Working Guide to Process Equipment" (Lieberman). It is not the tipical "academic" book. Everything is explained in a practical way and many real stories are given to help understanding. I learnt a lot reading it

I suppose I should not be touting my own book, but if your environmental work includes incineration, I suggest "Combustion and Incineration Processes" . . . 3rd Edition (2002) by Walter Niessen - Marcel Dekker, NY. The book covers basic and applied combustion theory; tables showing the chemical, mechanical and thermal properties of different waste streams; and extensive discussions of the technology applications to burn or gasify municipal, hazardous, and sewage-derived solid wastes, gases and liquids; plus relevant air pollution control and environmental assessment technology. The diskette of computer programs that is included is a real help for heat & material balances, steam properties, waste characterization and other applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back