Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3 point bending test mice femur and tibia - ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliSera

Bioengineer
Sep 7, 2023
US
I am modeling a 3 point bending test in Abaqus on a mouse bone (both tibia and femur) and in particular I want to assess the crack insurgence at the diaphysis level.
I was able to do it in a 2D femur geometry by calculating the STATUS XFEM
Picture4_wvauug.png

When I moved in a 3D tibia geometry I face some issues:
1) I had difficulty in assembling the bone with two supports as constraints, and with a load beam, therefore I just applied a load as y-displacement at the diaphysis and I constrained the bone at the epiphyses with encastres.
Picture1_abxdp9.jpg

Even if I obtained realistic values of Von Mises Stress
Picture2_vdonzq.png
, I would like to move in a more faithful set-up as the one proposed by @magrimmelprez in the past 16 Dec 2016 in this forum. The researcher conducted a similar study with a 3PB test on a mice femur and human clavicle. Is there a way to interact with this researcher?

2) I tried to enrich the model with the special feature of a crack, but when I run the job, the software was not able to allow the crack generation and propagation. What can I do?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you share the link to that forum thread ? It would be good to know what you mean by "more faithful set-up" proposed there.

How was your crack definition different from the 2D model ? How was the 2D model constrained and loaded ?

1)This is the link of the forum thread:

2) The crack definition and domain was not different between 2D and 3D, meaning that I select all the bone geometry as crack growth and propagation, but the initial geometry imported in Abaqus is of course different because the 3D is a polysurface file obtained by segmentation of uCT images, instead the 2D is a mask obtained by microscope images.

3) In the 2D geometry, the load was applied in the origin of the circle load as a 0.5mm of displacement in the vertical direction, and the bone was constrained with encastre at the epiphyses.

The approach described in that forum thread (supports and punch modeled as rigid cylindrical surfaces) is indeed the best way and I think that you should try it as well. It's a typical method when simulating 3-point bending.

Have you considered modeling the initial crack and specifying it for XFEM ? This is also commonly done when analyzing the crack propagation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back