Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

30 Shore '00' materials 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2001
DE
6 June '01
Hi Folks,

I am looking for 30 Shore 00 materials. These will be used in a skin-contact application. They should have good tear strength, shock absorbing characteristics. So far I have looked at silicones, PU and styrenic block copolymers in oil gels (oil elastomers).

Any help appreciated,

Speedy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi. I was reading with interest your inquiry for Shore 00 materials. Thats precisely what I am looking for. The Shore 00 materials I am familiar with are all Silicones. I am looking for something nonsilicone. So I cant really help add to your list, but I was wondering if you can share what you have gathered so far with me. I am especially interested in the PU's that are shore 00. The softest I can find is a Shore A=15. In the name of research, I would appreciate any info you could share with me. My application has nothing to do with skin, contact, so no worries there!

Thanks
Karen

Karen,

Most of the work we do here is on silicones also, plenty of experience in this area. Rhodia, Dow Corning & Wacker are companies we deal with regularly.

We are also looking at 'Oil Elastomers' at the moment. These are a blend of Kraton G polymers (Shell) and an Oil. I will send data on this to your e-mail. Basically these can be formulated to any softness.

As for the PU, you are correct on the shore. I have been unable to source PU's in the 'shore 00' scale also.

In the meantime, I will send that data.

Speedy

Does anyone know of low temperature processable material that has a slight surface tack and is in the 30-50 Shore 00 hardness range. Tear strength is not really an issue, but if the material was slightly basic in character that would be a big bonus.

Thanks Guys

Richard@limbsandthings.com

Richard,

There are 'off the shelf' silicones which would suit. The surface tackiness can be altered by varying the cure temperature. Higher temps will be less tackier.

Try Rhodia or Dow Corning.

Speedy

Speedy-

Ive been away from this project for awhile, but still have an interest in it. I would appreciate any information you could send about the Oil Elastomers or any other nonsilicone soft material you have found in the meantime. My email address is: bkbruzda@aol.com

Thank you for your help!

Karen

Anybody tried Sorbothane?

Slightly tacky, very soft, and a variety of durometers. Unfortunately it's propritary with high MOQ's.

I looked at Sorbothane about a year ago. Unfortunately it was a little too hard for my application. The minimum is 30 'shore 00'. I was looking to go to 20 or less.

Having said that, the shock absorbtion qualties of the material seem unbeatable. It has an absorbtion % of 60.3 for a 6.5 ft drop of a 12lb sphere. I have never seen material that seems so 'dead'. I believe they use it on the butts of guns to impact protect the human shoulder.

Speedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back