Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3000 to 250 psi reducing valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmihov

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2010
LV
Anybody know any pressure reducing valves from 3000psi to 200-300psi made out of 316SS?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's a big pressure drop.
Getting stainless won't be the problem.

17-1058074210T.gif

Your using scuba tanks. Use a scuba regulator. The first stage pressure is about 150 psi and could be adjusted if you need to, which you probably don't. They are made from plated brass. Stainless is often not suitable in salt water.

Compositepro,
Just curious, how do you know he's using scuba tanks? Good point about the stainless, at 3,000 psig I'd be nervous about Chloride Stress Cracking in sea water.

David

Yes i am using scuba tanks, good guess! I looked at scuba regulators, but need something with 1/4" connection, was hoping to find something more "industrial"

The most popular scuba tanks are aluminum, since they form an aluminum oxide coating which prevents further corrosion; internal inspections are still legally required every year, hydro every 5; and are more buoyant than steel tanks. The disadvantage as a diver is that they shift from neg to pos byoyancy as they become depleted, but that does make finding them after they fall off the boat much easier, as well as those unfortunate divers that run out of air. Tanks are marked 3AA or 3AL. 3AA is the marking for chrome-molybdenum "Stainless" steel, of which both 304 and 316 are used. I'm sure you've figured out that 3AL means aluminum.

By industrial, I take it you mean cheaper? Most scuba equipment is more expensive and have a more flashy finish than their industrial grade counterparts.

You'd probably want to consider 304.

17-1058074210T.gif

Instead of SCUBA tanks the issue is more like the regulators for low volume gas. Many companies make gas regulators suitable for the pressure drop.

My billet example was 3000 psig brine from cavern development for injection into a disposal well with unknown drop. The valve was made by Cor-Val (Now T3 Energy) but Fisher sells Cavitrol trim for simila valve applications. Masoneilan, Valtek and others can also do this. Several cavitation control trims can handle such drop with a clean fluid.

the problem with 304 is that it is magnetic, and my system has to non magnetics, as it will carry magnetic sensor equipment.

I don't see where 316 is a problem, given adequate inspection and maintenance, on the other hand, a cheap valve, maybe. Cheap is a rather subjective term, not to mention that cheap and offshore, especially submerged and controllable, don't go together well.

17-1058074210T.gif

Try TESCOM, they make gas regulators for high purity gasses, go to really high pressures, and have stainless as well as some exotic metals. however, I am not sure they have enough flow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back