Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D elements are shown like two shell surfaces!!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahsaa

Bioengineer
Jun 7, 2012
Hi guys,
I have a problem in showing my model in abaqus. I used 3D element to show some layers but whenever I cut my model it is shown like two shell layers with a space between them!!!! I need its picture for my paper but I don't know how to create it. Its pictures are attaches.
Thank you in advance for your help.
-Mahsa

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am confused and the pictures are not very helpful in understanding the issue you are facing. But I guess its a visualization issue. I assume you are using Create Display Group to select elements and (temporarily) removing them from the viewer. When you do this, the remaining regions show up as "shells", is that it?

If so, I am even more confused. However, typically, graphical issues may simply be related to how well ABAQUS works with your graphics card. You can play with View Graphics Options, Assembly Display Options, and Global Translucency. Also, you might want to reduce the hardware acceleration of your graphics card.

Hello,

For each cut section Abaqus/Viewer allows you set visible part with three options:
- below cut
- on cut
- above cut
Just mark two of three options you want to use for specific cut: on cut + below or above cut.

Regards,
Bartosz

Many thanks for your comments.
@IceBreakerSours:
I'm not using any display group. The interior space of my model seems empty, just its borders are shown!! My model is attached
@Akabarten:
When using below/above cut, the interior space seems empty. And in the case of using ON CUT, the cutting surface seems completely orange!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=acafa0a2-9e51-4b2b-955e-e9cd7c9cff24&file=base.inp
Hi,

Now I see better, first of all Abaqus allow us use two cut options.
One is available in Abaqus/CAE and the second can be use with Abaqus/Viewer.
Cuting feature is quite new in Abaqus/CAE, it is from 6.10 version.
It is still quite simple feature and does not show mesh "on cut" section.
Cutting surface can use only one specific color (orange is default) or part color.

Cutting feature with Abaqus/Viewer is able to show interior mesh as well.
But in this case you need to have odb file. You can always run datacheck and the open
the odb file with Abaqus/Viewer.

Regards,
Bartosz

You might want to be careful about the high Poisson's ratio of some fluid-like materials. The simulation may run without issues today but as the model gets more complicated, a Poisson's ratio of more than ~0.4 causes headaches and even non-convergence. You'd be better off with hyperelastic materials like Neo-Hooke or Mooney-Rivlin (material constants must be available in literature). However, non-linearity also comes with its own computational expense but it shouldn't be too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back