Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Modeling and Design Standards for Diecast Manufacturing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

3DModelProf

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2022
US
I am working with a company that is adding a new marketing strategy and is having me design a line of 3D models for Diecast toys
manufacturing and production. I have been an Engineering Design professional for over 25 years and consider myself rather good
at what I do, however, this one has thrown me for a loop.
Trying to find 3D modeling standards for this type of0 diecast industry seems near impossible. Was wondering if there is anyone out there
that has any experience in this field or knows someone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am looking for standards in the deliverables to the manufacturing company. how many parts? Do I split the model or do they? Do I have to design in the connections between the mating parts or do they handle that? Etc.... I feel like I am walking blind..[censored]

Not sure of a standard. If I think what you are looking for:
Model each part nominal.
Save each part as a STEP file, send to vendor with PDF dwg.
You don't want to send the actual SolidWorks files.
Let the vendor make the molds per the part file.

Chris, CSWP
SolidWorks
ctophers home

Hi, 3DModelProf:

You should focus on definition of products that you are after. It is up to the vendor(s) how they will develop their processes.

As Chris indicated, you send prints with 3D models that define what you want. Send 3D model in parasolid models if the vendor uses Solidworks. Otherwise, send them in STEP AP214 format.

Best regards,

Alex

Have a look at the Nadaca standards This is more of tolerancing and such. It maybe a good starting point.

Usually, when we do die castings it is a back-and-forth between the customer and supplier on the die-cast parting lines and such.

Also, reviewing ASME y14.8 May help also.

The customer should be providing any safety or other regulatory standards the product needs to meet. If you want to learn how to design a casting then I'd recommend taking an introductory course and spending a few years alongside an experienced engineer. Non-proprietary design guides are generally worthless bc they provide little useful info among outdated rubbish.

I recommend connecting the customer directly with the foundry. Best practice is to allow an experienced engineer to design castings start-finish even if the work has to be outsourced. Many in industry are stuck on providing foundries a basic model but that's counterproductive, adding a ton of cost and time needlessly. An experienced engineer will drive the design with moldflow, design the process and tooling simultaneously, and work the logistical options to ensure production timing/efficiency/cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back