Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D named view orientation - changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickybunn

Automotive
Oct 20, 2003
GB
Has anyone else noticed the change in named view orientation since V5 r10? A "Top" or "Bottom" view would position the X axis left to right on screen. In V5 r12 the X axis now runs top to bottom. WHY????
Most Cars / Planes / Boat etc are modelled with the X axis running the length of the vehicle so why has this been changed to display on the shortest length of the screen?
Our Catia assist people sent us this response from Dassault.

PMR00546: > APAR HC9613

"The orientation of *TOP view is changed on R11 for
more coherence between the standard views. This
changement is the result of a requirement from
customs.
Correct Application
This modification results more coherence between
std views. In R11 the TOP view is generated from
FRONT view by a rotation of 90 degree around one
axis. In R10, this generation needs two rotations of
90 degree around two different axis."

It would appear someone asked for this change. Duh!

In V4 X goes left to right!

The axis direction can be edited but it then mucks all the other views up.

Why! Why ! Why!

Richard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Richard,

DON'T KNOW ! DON'T KNOW! DON'T KNOW!

I hear that there'd be "another" request which is going to take place in R14 such that we can customise the x-axis to be running from left to right on TOP View
(different from Named Views which we have now) ... let's see ...

Cheers. Kennis Tang.

stickybunn,

I work in the aerospace industry and what Dassault did makes no sense to me either. There is what I was able to do.

Go to the View pull-down menu and click on Named Views. Select *iso in the list and click on the Apply button. Your Compass will rotate to that whacked view. Now, select the Properties button. You will see the axis protruding through a box. Clicking on the arrowheads of each axis will allow you to cycle through the six possible combinations (+X,-X,+Y,-Y,+Z,-Z). I set mine up so that the Top View had +Z, the Front View had +X, and the Right View had +Y. When you are done, click on Apply. You will not be allowed to do an invalid orientation. If all is good, exit out of the dialog box, saving your changes. Then next time you click on the icon for the isometric view, the orientation should be correct.

I closed down Catia after making the changes and when it came back up, it kept the new orientation. Furthermore, the other orientations were coordinated with the isometric view.

Hope this works for you!

Archangel

Hi Archangel

Thanks for input.
I had already tried this and found no combination that worked. Trouble is to get X right, it mixes up the front/rear views with the left/right views.
The values you quote are the default values for our installation which gives us X running up and down the screen instead of left to right.
In R10 it was fine why could they not leave it alone?

Richard

stickybunn,

Sorry to hear about your issue. Following my instructions, the people in my company have had no issue. The X direction runs left to right. You might want to try again with those vectors? Just experiment to see if you can get a different orientation, even though it is incorrect.

As for why they messed it up, I saw somewhere on one of these forums something about a conservation of bugs. I guess when they fix one thing, they have to break something else to maintain an equilibrium.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Archangel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back