Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D solid in Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisalvim73

Civil/Environmental
Feb 6, 2003
BR
Hi,

I'm modeling breast reduction surgery and developed a methodology to get x-y-z coordinates of the surface of female breast. Do anybody know how can I create a part model in Abaqus, considering the "true" coordinates? I think it can't be created by extrusion or revolution, don't you?

Thanks a lot, Cristina

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cristina
I assume you are using ABAQUS/CAE for the input modelling. Unfortunatly CAE has quite poor facilities for directly creating complex surfaces. The only practical way of getting your data into CAE is to use a proper CAD package to define the surface as a NURB or as facets and then to import this into CAE.

TERRY TERRY [pc2]

Christina, if you have access to Solid Works, one of the very popular CAD programs out there, it can be quite simple to create, Solid Works is quite powerful, although I am not exactly sure how you'd go about creating it. But then, after you are done, you can simply save the part file in one of the very different formats that ABAQUS can import parts as and then go from there. Sunny.

FYI

ABAQUS/CAE can read:
IGES, STEP, ACIS (.sat), Ideas, Catia, Pro/E, and Parasolid based geometry

It can also convert Nastran bulk data decks into ABAQUS input decks (.inp)

In 6.3 /CAE lofting is available, but only through the scripting interface. If you're an advanced user, I highly reccomend taking a look at the scripting command reference -- there is a lot there that hasn't been implemented graphically yet!

Based on what's in the scripting manual, I would expect a lofting GUI to be included in 6.4 /CAE.

Good luck on your project, and don't hesitate to contact your local office for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back