Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3D static finite element analysis benchmark?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartcookie

Electrical
Feb 11, 2006
CA
Hello,
I've written a 3d finite element code in matlab, generating tetrahedral volume meshes and solving possion equation. I need an example with analyrtical solution to check my program? anyone got a benchmark?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For more complicated models that those you might duplicate out of your last engineering textbook, I tend to benchmark against commercially available software packages with which I am very familiar. That way, I know the software is being run properly and I trust the results I'm getting from the package.

Otherwise, I have been known to use books like "Standard Handbook of Engineering Calculations" from McGraw-Hill or various Machine Design handbooks and textbooks.

Poisson's equation has analytical solutions for basic geometries, for example a parallelepiped, cylinder etc.

Any decent math textbook discussing PDE should have some solved examples, though it might not include PDE on 3D domains. Maybe a handbook on PDE might have some.

Probably a better bet would be a text on heat transfer (or trasport phenomena), it should have some examples since Poisson's eq. describes steady heat condution (or diffusion) with constant source term.....I think.

Start with simple problems from a textbook...If you start with something complex you will never get it checked out...

Ed.R.

Is it transient or just steady state thermal problems? I have examples that compare results with both theoretical solutions and with other codes that have no easily obtained theoretical solution.

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back