Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3d surface modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtt

Computer
Oct 7, 2002
US
I've some pottery drawings in 3D surface. It was easier to draw in 3D surface than in 3D solids because I need to show the varied thickness of the pots in section. But now I want to substract some area in irregular shape from the 3D faces: I want to get the pots somewhat fragmented. If the drawings are in 3D solids, I can supposedly draw the shape of the cracked area, extrude it, move it to intersect with the surface, and use substract. I havn't tried it yet though. But what can I do if they are in 3D surfaces.
Thanks,
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi John

_extrude
select object (pick the 3D surface)
Thickness: 1 etc.
Taper angle: 0

The resulting object is 3D and subtracts nicely from other solids.

Hope this is useful.

Hi Tigrek

I was curious, I tried your suggestion and it didn't work.
As far as I know there is no way that AutoCAD can extrude a surface model.

But in case using Mechanical Desktop, it is easier to work with 3d surface models. It has thicken command, and surface editing such as project wire frame to surface and surface trimming.
Maybe you should try using Mech.Desktop John, don't worry because Mech.Desktop also using dwg files.

Regards,
Cahya

Hi Cahya,
Thanks for your suggestion. But isn't most of the add-in commands in Mech Desktop are in lisp? They are in Land Desktop, I understand. I'm wondering whether I can just find the lisp routine for it. I can't afford to get Mech Desktop yet.
Sincerely,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back